Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Nosler Accubonds vs Barnes TSX

So I have been hunting and shooting competitions with .308 150gr Sierra Pro Hunters out of my Musgrave RSA actioned .308.

The reason I shot pro hunters is that they were inexpensive so I could use them for hunting, competitions and practice. Now with all the IDPA and 3 gun I do, i dont really go to any of the hunting competitions. The Pro Hunter performed well on the hunt.

So, i would like to spend a bit more money on bullets as I dont shoot as often so it is either between the Nosler Accubond or Barnes Tsx.

Barnes Tsx has a good reputation and there are people ont he forum that swear by them.

The Nosler Accubonds are also a good performing bullet

They are both similar prices so that is fine.

However, I have a large supply of Nolser Ballistic Tips (green tip 150gr) available for practice. Is it possible to practice with the ballistic tip. Then change to the Accubond before the hunt - giving time for sighting and practicing etc.

This then reduces the cost for using the accubonds.

I will be shooting springbok, belsbok and Black WB. Mostly head and neck shots.

So, which one should I choose, Accubonds, TSX or just stick with the Pro Hunters?

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Nosler Accubonds vs Barnes TSX

That is how i run mine. Nosler ballistic tips for target, varmint and comp days but Barnes for hunting.
    Before hunting i will re-sight with TTSX and go hunting.

The Barnes are really very very good.I only started using them this year when i started reloading and i could already see the difference when i used them in my 243 a couple weeks ago

The .30 Barnes go for R480 at Safari and zimbi so that is not really overly expencive for hunting
    I still need to work up loads for my 30.06 and 300WM using TSX\TTSX before hunting season starts

User

The ballistic tip and the accubond in the same weight will shoot to the same point of aim providing you keep everything equal.

Alot of our club members use the ballistic tip for competition and then the accubond for hunting with no difference in zero.

I use the 165gr accubond in my 308 win and have done so for the past 5 years and can only speak highly about there accuracy and penetration.

The 150gr accubond is also a fantastic bullet

User

I'd stick to the pro hunters as you go for head/neck shots! Accubonds is my personal choice but they will go straight through when used at less than 180m, but that's in my experience on head/neck in smaller game.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wesley white View Post

Alot of our club members use the ballistic tip for competition and then the accubond for hunting with no difference in zero.
    Thanks, this is what i wanted to hear.

Thanks for the replies

User

Quote Originally Posted by Clint357 View Post
    I'd stick to the pro hunters as you go for head/neck shots! Accubonds is my personal choice but they will go straight through when used at less than 180m, but that's in my experience on head/neck in smaller game.
    I hear what you are saying, but most shots are over 200m as they are on quite open plains. I also want the ability to be able to go for a heart/lung shot if conditions are not right for a headshot. The last springbok i shot with a Pro hunter at long range, the bullet disintegrated when it hit bone. So much so that I found a piece of said bullet in the stew a month ago.

User

Oh crap! Never had any experience with sierra bullets, go with accubonds, my 3006 for some reason prefers lead over mono bullets, test a few and see what you(rifle) prefer, as far as performance I think they're very equal

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but most shots are over 200m as they are on quite open plains. I also want the ability to be able to go for a heart/lung shot if conditions are not right for a headshot. The last springbok i shot with a Pro hunter at long range, the bullet disintegrated when it hit bone. So much so that I found a piece of said bullet in the stew a month ago.
    If distances are over 200m I'd go with the accubonds. I shoot both and the Accubonds can fully expand at a lower velocity. I have had a TSX just start making petals in a BWB at just over 300m. Estimate impact velocity to be at 1700ft/s (.30-06 muzzle velocity 2300ft/s). Have taken same shots with accubonds and bullets have expanded beautifully. Both recovered from stomach contents/rumen. One thing that I can say for sure is that in a hunting situation you won't be disappointed by either, and believe me, you'll shoot a whole lot of animals before you have the opportunity to inspect either one of the projectiles coz 99% you get complete penetration.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelrp View Post
    If distances are over 200m I'd go with the accubonds. I shoot both and the Accubonds can fully expand at a lower velocity. I have had a TSX just start making petals in a BWB at just over 300m. Estimate impact velocity to be at 1700ft/s (.30-06 muzzle velocity 2300ft/s). Have taken same shots with accubonds and bullets have expanded beautifully. Both recovered from stomach contents/rumen. One thing that I can say for sure is that in a hunting situation you won't be disappointed by either, and believe me, you'll shoot a whole lot of animals before you have the opportunity to inspect either one of the projectiles coz 99% you get complete penetration.
    Great, accubonds it is

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Great, accubonds it is
    Great choice. Really good bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast