Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: DI vs Piston AR's again

As Khumba indicates the comparative tests have been done and the results are pretty clear-cut. both DI and Piston systems work . . . better than most of us think or expect. The first DI ARs had teething issues way back when. They have been solved. Recent improvements in materials and manufacturing procedures have just made them better still. similar to DI guns the first piston AR's had teething problems. Development solved most if not all of the issues (and development still continues). The performance of quality examples overlap to such a degree that it doesn't really matter if you have a piston or a DI gun.
    However if you need something with a very short barrel or you will regularly use a suppressor then you would be best served by something with a piston.
    Personally I would not mind owning an LMT monolithic upper piston AR (the one with the quick change barrel)

Banned

Thanks for the info and links Khumba, I am familiar with the fact that DI systems dont need cleaning to keep functioning as long as you keep them wet. Do you maybe have any links/info on tests done without any lube at all?

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    As Khumba indicates the comparative tests have been done and the results are pretty clear-cut. both DI and Piston systems work . . . better than most of us think or expect. The first DI ARs had teething issues way back when. They have been solved. Recent improvements in materials and manufacturing procedures have just made them better still. similar to DI guns the first piston AR's had teething problems. Development solved most if not all of the issues (and development still continues). The performance of quality examples overlap to such a degree that it doesn't really matter if you have a piston or a DI gun.
    However if you need something with a very short barrel or you will regularly use a suppressor then you would be best served by something with a piston.
    Personally I would not mind owning an LMT monolithic upper piston AR (the one with the quick change barrel)
    Yes and you can add the building of the "AR is dirty and cannot operate without a lot care and cleaning" myth by internet readers who do not even really shoot or use the rifles. They hear something and embellish it with their own bs and then along comes another uninformed person who reads it and then believes it as gospel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WERNER7771 View Post
    Thanks for the info and links Khumba, I am familiar with the fact that DI systems dont need cleaning to keep functioning as long as you keep them wet. Do you maybe have any links/info on tests done without any lube at all?
    Yes I have:

Read "The big M4 Myth" by Mike Pannone (MP is a very very reliable source of information and knowledge)

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big...m4-unreliable/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Yes I have:

Read "The big M4 Myth" by Mike Pannone (MP is a very very reliable source of information and knowledge)

Thanks for posting the link Khumba. Objective, informative, detailed and based on ACTUAL results.
    He lays to rest quite a few myths including the overheating bcg fairytale. If I understand his findings correctly AR reliability is the end result of (1)combining the correct (strong) recoil spring with a fairly heavy buffer that will improve (slow down) unlocking and ad momentum when traveling forward. (2) Correct (enough) extractor tension. (3) A little bit of lube as needed and somewhere at the back of the crowd there is cleaning.

User

Yip.

Most quality rifles will have those elements built in already and that is what we pay for - the integrity in setting it up right with the right parts.

The spec may differ on pistol length, carbine length, mid length and rifle length DI gas systems. The longer the gas system the easier it is to make it work very well and the "softer" it is on the rifle components.

Interesting to see that LWRCI who is a piston AR company just released their first DI rifle at Shot Show 2014.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Yes I have:

Thanks for the Info!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3