User

Default Peace officers-how, what, why?

Howsit all

I have a question about Peace officers.

What exactly is a peace officer, how does one become one and what is the purpose of a peace officer?

The reason Im asking is that I have recently seen some job adverts for Section Rangers in national parks and it says it would be an advantage if the applicant was a peace officer.

Please educate me on this

cheers
    Luke

Default Re: Peace officers-how, what, why?

All judges, magistrates, police officials and correctional officials are peace officers. The Minister of Justice can also declare a certain class of persons as peace officers for certain areas, such as rangers for the Kruger, etc. Mostly, a peace officer has slightly wider powers of arrest.

So unfortunately it is not something that you can apply to become just because it will be beneficial to you.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Default Re: Peace officers-how, what, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    All judges, magistrates, police officials and correctional officials are peace officers. The Minister of Justice can also declare a certain class of persons as peace officers for certain areas, such as rangers for the Kruger, etc. Mostly, a peace officer has slightly wider powers of arrest.

So unfortunately it is not something that you can apply to become just because it will be beneficial to you.
    Hi there,

Thread - revival. I am looking into this myself. I see NMMU in PE offer a course. So basically, you can do a course and become accredited but only if you are employed in a government post related to law enforcement will you be appointed a Peace Officer. Is that correct?