Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default S0.... What do I get...?

Sorry guys, its one of those questions.

I always said I won't need a really big bore as I will most probably never hunt dangerous game. Turns out I was wrong. Hunted Buffalo last year, busy with a problem Hippo and booked a Buffalo hunt in Mozambique for later this year. I get the feeling that it wont be the end of that.

In all these cases I will have to backup my wife.... Yes, the Missis. I am in the fortunate/unfortunate position to have a hunting crazy woman. It's not all its cranked up to be, as I end up being her personal gillie/outfitter/PH/gunsmith etc all in one. It's a crap job but somebody needs to do it;-)

What do I get? 416, 458 or 404. I have a .375H&H. She will most probably hunt the Hippo with that. The Buffalo is booked for a Bowhunt but if all els fail she will convert to the .375.

My initial choices was/is the .458WM, 416Ruger or 404Jeff. Mainly because they are built on standard length Mauser or Mauser like actions with its advantages. According to me, the .458WM is probably more of a stopper than the 416 and 404. The 416Ruger and 404Jeff would most likely do the job as a stopper but is rather suited as calibers for hunting. I might/am/could be wrong. I also know that there is bigger better caliber's for the job. I also know my capabilities and would rather be trampled by an angry Buffalo, than fire a .577 Tyrannosaur, before getting trampled by a angry Buffalo lying there thinking damn, that was some recoil.

Jokes aside, I need to take cost in consideration as well. I like a pretty rifle, but would rather pay for a tool than a very expensive safe queen. My options so far, Zastava 458WM. Ruger's 416 Ruger or a gunsmith built 458WM, 416Ruger or 404 Jeff from a Musgrave M98 action.

Default Re: S0.... What do I get...?

Bossie

I have a .416 Rigby and a .458 , by far would recomend the .416.

If you want to drive through and have a few shots (I still owe you ammo) let me know.

Cheers Frank
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

@ Frank
    Y would u choose the 416rigby over a 458lott? Just curious

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

User

If I were to get a big bore it would either be a 458 Lott or something oddball wildcat that nobody's ever heard of. 450 Ashurst, maybe... :-)

User

I like the 458lott a lot recoil is not to bad. when my dad and I go to the range we alternate between the 303; 375H&H and the 458lott on the day we will shoot out about 40-50 rounds with each.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

User

I use a 416 Rigby, and it kills Buffalo very dead.

If I had to add another big bore I'll definitely look at the 450 Rigby. Unfortunately I had to delete my inbox, but the figures that another user mailed me was astounding to say the least. UNDER correction, but I think it was a 600gr bullet at 2400fps!

User

I also have a .416 Rigby.
    It's a very versatile calibre and has some legs
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    Bossie

I have a .416 Rigby and a .458 , by far would recomend the .416.

If you want to drive through and have a few shots (I still owe you ammo) let me know.

Cheers Frank
    Hi Frank. Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Craig has a 416 Rigby and 458WM in store. Both CZ550 at the same, and I might ad not to bad a price. Now, what I like about that is the fact that the 458 in 550 can easily be converted to Lott. What I "don't like" about that(and I honestly don't know how serious a issue it is) is that people under stress apparently short strike the bolt under duress, leaving the chamber empty.

The 416 Rigby should if I understand it correctly out penetrate the .458WM or Lott for that matter. I am however speaking under correction and don't know to much about that. What I do know is that a 9mmP will "out" penetrate a 45ACP, and we know how that debate ends ;-)

User

Hi Bos

Go shoot a few of the suitable guns first. Pictures and numbers don't tell the whole story. Choose one the missus can't handle. At least then you will have one gun for yourself! :-D

If you choose to go the 458 route, you have various options. The Lott and 3" Express are very popular. And all can be safely fired in the 3" chamber. Uncle Ken can make the 3" cases. Also speak to Prof Koos, the "father" of the 3" Express. I shot his own 3" from the bench, and would gladly volunteer for many more.

One of the reasons for the creation of the 3" Exp, is the fact that the larger case capacity allows it to be loaded with S365 powder. Due to the slower burning rate, compared to S321 or S335, as usually used in the Win Mag, the "pressure curve" is much flatter, without the sharp peak. That translates into a more gentle "push", instead of the WM's "sharp bite". Much like the 416 Rigby etc.

The longer bolt trow is nonsense IMO, as the ejector is fixed. Short stroking a standard CZ550 in 458WM, will leave the empty case stuck in the extractor. Practise to reload properly, with reduced loads using cast bullets, if need be. That NEA-15 is making you lazy, you know...

Regards, A-R.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Hi Bos

Go shoot a few of the suitable guns first. Pictures and numbers don't tell the whole story. Choose one the missus can't handle. At least then you will have one gun for yourself! :-D
    Thats why I started bowhunting, so she couldn't use my bow and check how that turned out for me;-)

you choose to go the 458 route, you have various options. The Lott and 3" Express are very popular. And all can be safely fired in the 3" chamber. Uncle Ken can make the 3" cases. Also speak to Prof Koos, the "father" of the 3" Express. I shot his own 3" from the bench, and would gladly volunteer for many more.

One of the reasons for the creation of the 3" Exp, is the fact that the larger case capacity allows it to be loaded with S365 powder. Due to the slower burning rate, compared to S321 or S335, as usually used in the Win Mag, the "pressure curve" is much flatter, without the sharp peak. That translates into a more gentle "push", instead of the WM's "sharp bite". Much like the 416 Rigby etc.
    Yes, an option, and having Prof Koos a stones throw away makes it pretty appealing.

longer bolt trow is nonsense IMO, as the ejector is fixed. Short stroking a standard CZ550 in 458WM, will leave the empty case stuck in the extractor. Practise to reload properly, with reduced loads using cast bullets, if need be.
    I always thought that theory was bollox, but it gets preached as religion by some.

That NEA-15 is making you lazy, you know...
    On the contrary leopard crawling around looking for cases for reloading is hard and thirsty work ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast