Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .762/.308 Israeli Mauser

Thank you kindly..it is always nice to get feedback from fellow members since their opinions are always welcomed and relevant...

User

What did you decided on in the end?
    I have the same rifle (inherited), but have not taken her to the range as yet. Looking to use her this year on a hunt in Namibia.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    question though...why is it not possible to re-load milsurp -cartridges ? An explanation will be welcome..
    Military cases use a Berdan primer.

User

Gamefarmer thank you kindly for this information it all makes a lot of sense.
    I decided to use 168 gn PMP brass for this season`n hunting in the .308 Israeli Mauser.

User

Gert what I used to do for my 303 British and 308 Win was to extract the bullet from military cartridges (hammer-type extractor) discard the propellant and basically loaded with new propellant and then seat the new hunting bullet. No sizing required as the case and neck still in original condition.

Quick and painless and worked like a charm.

PS: Obviously an once off deal, but at least I turned 'useless' military ammo into hunting ammo.

There are off course various successful methods to de-prime the Berdan IF you can get hold of new Berdan primers.
    Last edited by GameFarmer; 30-04-2013 at 15:23. Reason: PS:

User

Game-farmer, now that sounds like a brilliant option. A friend of mine has a lot of mil-surplus that he do not want, in the .762/.308 caliber and I will take this route, replacing the bullet and powder.

I have read somewhere a hunter took the mill-surp cartridge and grind the fore-part off to convert the mill-surp into a expanding hunting bullet...Your views on this practice??

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I have read somewhere a hunter took the mill-surp cartridge and grind the fore-part off to convert the mill-surp into a expanding hunting bullet...Your views on this practice??
    Bad idea. The jacket and core on military ammo are not designed to expand or mushroom, even if the tip is exposed. I've never done a cross-cut on these bullets, but I suspect that the jacket is very thin. You will probably end up with major meat damage due to fragmentation. I also suspect that grinding the tip will also negatively influence accuracy.

PS: There are a lot of guys that shoot 7.62 semi-auto rifles and that do not reload. Last I saw this ammo on bulk special at just over R5 a shot. Pity that it against the law to privately sell ammo. Suppose then that swapping these for nice new 308 cases is also against the law? Just thinking out loud, of course.

User

Yes, my thoughts as well, the way I look at it is if hunting is important to you, you will want to get the best results when hunting, so you will use the best ammo , since game is expensive, it make sense to shoot with the best affordable cartridge and bullet combination.

It is not a good feeling to follow a blood trail for the whole day and still loose the nice big trophy Eland. It will set you back a few thousand rands...

User

Gert.

Your powder of choice would be S335. Best case fill and powder burn percentage.
    If the bullet is indeed the 143 grain PMP FMJ then I would not make your COL longer than 70.0mm.
    This particular bullet has a long boat tail and at 70.0mm there is only 6.37mm of the bullets shank (excluding the boat tail section) in the case neck.
    A start load would be 39.8 grains. Use a standard LR primer.
    Come back to us with chronied velocities and other exact parameters and we can fine tune the load thereafter.

User

Dale H
    Thank you very much, it is much appreciated. I will be re-loading this week since Johan Greyling will be back from holiday..A friend of mine has a chrony I can make use of.I will get back to you...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast