Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
    User

Default Re: Buying your first rifle – Deciding on a calibre

MMM

I have to disagree with you guys.

Every year I hunt in ridiculous bush and I've always found the silencer a non issue. You simply don't walk sideways with your rifle in the bush, so that extra 20cm does nothing at all. Also people should really be able to carry 500grams more, or exercise more.

Now sure if you are a PH the last thing you want is a rifle pointed at your behind, but for a person hunting alone, nope, a silencer is not a handicap.
    What it does is keep you from going deaf long before your time.

User

It is not the weight, it is where the weight is attached. It is also not carrying it sideways, when swinging a rifle on a moving target in thick bush 20cm, (again, for me) does make a difference. Having said that, we all hunt in different ways, which is why our experiences differ.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It is not the weight, it is where the weight is attached. It is also not carrying it sideways, when swinging a rifle on a moving target in thick bush 20cm, (again, for me) does make a difference. Having said that, we all hunt in different ways, which is why our experiences differ.
    Nah, the freestate just made you soft.

I should take you with each year when I hunt the thorn bush :)

User

Question on Stocks and Barrels:

Wood or synthetic?

Pros of wood?

Pros of synthetic?

Blued or stainless barrel?

Rust concerns etc? Accuracy?

All input much appreciated thanks guys.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    Question on Stocks and Barrels:

Wood or synthetic?

Pros of wood?

Pros of synthetic?

Blued or stainless barrel?

Rust concerns etc? Accuracy?

All input much appreciated thanks guys.
    Here there could be many answers. You could just as well ask for advice on choosing a girlfriend/wife/life partner. The choice is still yours to make. What tickles your fancy? once you know that apply some common sense.

Just read this entire thread. Want to throw in my 5c on first rifle. I went to Huntex 2014 with my boet and he convinced me to pick up a Ruger American on special. Now if I had listened early in the day I would have taken the .308Win that I wanted. But i do not jump quickly on big decisions, so I mulled it over all day and decided to do it. Get to the stand and they were sold out on .308 so I took a .270Win as my first rifle. I had previously shot 2 of my boet's .270Wins, so it wasn't totally impulsive.

I started hunting in the bushveld and reloading. Yes, the .270 is a little too fast for the bush, but 3 seasons later I am doing fine. My second rifle was a Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr, good for practice.

I have an average build. The .270 Is about at the limit of what i feel comfortable with. I have subsequently shot some .308s and hav felt that they are more user friendly. So my advice for newbs looking at first rifle, is take the .308Win.

However, last year I wad fortunate to assist a farmer with a cull in Namibia. Used his CZ .308 and shot plenty animals in 2 hours. Really liked shooting that . 308, but right there and then I would hav been.happier with my .270 than the .308, why, because it is more familiar to me from many hours practicing and I would have felt more comfortable taking head shots with my own rifle.

Next rifle for me will be a .308Win. This time round i will be looking for something a little fancier with a wood stock.

On calibers, if I was ever looking for something for long range shooting, a 6,5 Creedmore with heavy barrel would be the ticket. Check long range shots taken on YouTube.

AND lastly for Drankensberger...
    You will be happy with a standard barrel in a hunting rifle. Heavy barrels are for varmint shooting and target practice and are considerably heavier to carry in the hunting field. Wood vs synthetic is again mainly about weight difference, but wood needs more maintenance and should be oiled as it can warp if left to dry. There is also just something classy about wood. Then with choice of stainless or blue, you will be fine with blue as long as u keep rifle clean and lightly oiled. Stainless has definite advantage if u live next to coast or in an environment with corrosive elements. Remember stainless STAINS LESS, so u still need to maintain it and keep it lightly oiled.

Synthetic is lightweight and impervious to the elements.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18