Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Buying your first rifle – Deciding on a calibre

Hi Tetelestai

Great article.

I think that something worth mentioning is the following:

30-06 parent case is used for 25-06, .270 Winchester and the 9,3x62 Mauser.

.308 Winchester parent case is used for .243 Winchester and then the .260 Remington (which is a 6.5mm-08 and similar to the 6.5x55).

I have started on a .308 Winchester for a couple of reasons:

1. It is the rifle that I started shooting with
    2. The general purpose nature of it - I use 150gr bullets for Springbuck and can go up to 180gr for bigger game. I prefer the 168grainers mostly
    3. It is cost effective to shoot
    4. Barrel life is longer than other calibres. A calibre with a large case an small bullet (.300 Win Mag, 25-06 etc) are know to have shorter barrel lives.

As a second rifle, I would consider something in the line of 8x68 Mauser for larger game such as Eland.

User

Nice informative post T.

Glad to see you included some of the tried and tested European (metric) calibres in there. As the owner of a 6.5x55, 7x57 and 9,3X62 I could not agree more with your conclusions. Gives the novice more info on other choices besides the normal 243, 308 and 30 - 06 debate.

Banned

Great read! Hope it helps the inexperienced and young buyers - it definitely caused me to take a serious look at my budget! (So many guns, so little time...)

My little 2c: Practice, practice and practice a little more to make sure your shot goes where intended. Even a .416 bullet through the tail hairs of a rabbit wouldn't bring it down. Then rather a good shot with Oupa's old .303 through the vitals.

User

Hi Guys,

I just got my D.S.S status, and I wasted no time in Purchasing my first semi Auto .223.

I had a choice of 3

1. NEA
    2. Dashpro
    3. LM5

I picked the LM @ R20.000. Was this a Bad choice?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Hi Guys,

I just got my D.S.S status, and I wasted no time in Purchasing my first semi Auto .223.

I had a choice of 3

1. NEA
    2. Dashpro
    3. LM5

Seeing as this is the hunting section of the forum would say it was an extremely bad choice.

I'll buy it off of you for two grand.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Hi Guys,

I had a choice of 3

1. NEA
    2. Dashpro
    3. LM5

Wrong section to post under, but yeah, you got stung quite bad

User

Thanks for the excellent post! I'm currently stuck between 2 calibers ,namely .270 and .308 ,I'm in KZN so the bush might stuff me around a bit with the .270 but then again I won't take a shot that I'm not 100 percent comfortable with and I like the fact that the .270 shoots very flat ,taking a lot of the 'guessing work' out of the aiming ,but then again I have shot .308 (paper only) and really enjoyed it (I,m one of those short bantam 65 kilo okes ha ha) . But I have heard that some farmers apparently don't like hunters using anything under a .300 caliber size round in KZN because of the bush (probably another myth,I'm not too sure) , will the .308 have such a big advantage in KZN hunting over the .270 that I should rather stick to it?

Great post!

Eugene I am no expert but traversed these same waters a year ago, and came to the conclusion if you don't want to shoot eland that in practice these two guns will be pretty similar. Saying this a lot of guys will post that they have taken eland with a 270, and others that a 308 isn't ideal for eland either.
    That is why I ended up buying 2 rifles, and am sure it will not end there.
    So I think the message from the OP is there is no ultimate single all-rounder, but if you compromise a bit any of said calibers can do the job.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bonesgun View Post
    Great post!

Eugene I am no expert but traversed these same waters a year ago, and came to the conclusion if you don't want to shoot eland that in practice these two guns will be pretty similar. Saying this a lot of guys will post that they have taken eland with a 270, and others that a 308 isn't ideal for eland either.
    That is why I ended up buying 2 rifles, and am sure it will not end there.
    So I think the message from the OP is there is no ultimate single all-rounder, but if you compromise a bit any of said calibers can do the job.
    Thanks ,yeah I'm getting the picture now, so looks like.270 it will be, and later on a bigger caliber.

User

I'd say that up to 200 meters, you're not really going to see much difference in the trajectory ofa .308 or a .270, like 0.1 to 0.2 inch.

Where I like the .270 better, is sectional density and ballistic coifficient, because of the smaller diameter. If you are scared of meat damage, load a 150gr bullet.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast