User

Default value of a rifle

How does one decide on what price to ask for a hunting rifle? I have a Mauser .308 that is relatively new but certainly not fancy. It shoots Minute of angle groups all day but is nothing more than a standard good working rifle. Maybe had 300-400 rounds through the barrel. Scope would not be included. Stock a bit scratched but in good condition. Help??? I want to sell it to put money together to buy an action to build a 300H&H.

Default Re: value of a rifle

What make is the rifle? You say a Mauser .308, but I assume (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are referring to the action, possibly being a Mauser K98 or clone thereof? But I'd say most second hand hunting rifles in SA, of the CZ, Brno or Musgrave variety are at about R6K for the unscoped rifle. Bear in mind I am no expert in this, just stating what I've seen them go for lately.

Prices for Sako, Steyr etc are naturally a tad more.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

You could trawl Classic Arms and have a look if you see something similar. Problem is, they don't always have something similar. The best online source for estimating second hand rifle values in SA that I know of.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    What make is the rifle? You say a Mauser .308, but I assume (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are referring to the action, possibly being a Mauser K98 or clone thereof? But I'd say most second hand hunting rifles in SA, of the CZ, Brno or Musgrave variety are at about R6K for the unscoped rifle. Bear in mind I am no expert in this, just stating what I've seen them go for lately.

Prices for Sako, Steyr etc are naturally a tad more.
    You'd be surprised in the sudden upturn in used rifle prices.... Getting a good unscoped "classic" for R6K these days is called a lucky break. A friend recently paid R10K for Musgrave 30-06 (Vrystaat action but plain wood) and was willing, because that's exactly what he was looking for for a while.

To the OP. Follow the advice about looking at the Classic Arms ads....

.... or, depending on the action length and the rate of twist (which would probably be the problem), why not use that as the basis for your 300H&H?

:- P

User

@ Pirate - the action and the magazine are too short. It is a genuine Mauser - Waffenfabriek et al but a more recent model. I think it could fetch about R10 000 with the right buyer. I can get a Sako magnum action for R9000 - is that worth it?