Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blou wildebeest

User

Default Re: Blou wildebeest

First of all forget about KE and Momentum, those numbers can be interpreted in anyway you choose. I would then recommend you up your arrow weight to at least 500gr. 600gr is even better especially with your short draw length. Use a good quality fixed blade broadhead, cut-on-contact preferred something like a German Kinetic Silverflame, Muzzy Phantom or Magnus Stinger - there are many others out there too, just see what you can buy from your local shop. Plan for the worst, expect the best.

As a side note, the heavier arrow will also quieten your bow down a good deal.

Good info there Bowhunter.
    i take knives to a gunfight

User

Pardon the ignorance but what is the issue with rage mechanical blades on BWB? Having witnessed a BWB kill with 715gr arrow tipped with the 2 blade rage chisel tip. Clean kill, arrow penetrated through on 70lbs Hoyt. Is it risky business using the mechanicals?

User

No, with good shot placement you can down a BWB with a field point (NOT to be attempted). I shot my very first BWB with a G5T3 100gr mech. Worked like a charm.

For lower poundage and short draws (24-27ish) it helps to use a fixed blade. I have alot of faith in the Slick Tricks, Vikings and Muzzy's.

User

Sorry to go off the topic, but PH Rassie Erasmus shot a trophy (39") Eland bull with a 48# Mathews setup. IIRC the shot was taken around 22yds. Just proves again that KE & MO does not make up for great shot placement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post
    Pardon the ignorance but what is the issue with rage mechanical blades on BWB? Having witnessed a BWB kill with 715gr arrow tipped with the 2 blade rage chisel tip. Clean kill, arrow penetrated through on 70lbs Hoyt. Is it risky business using the mechanicals?
    I shoot the rages and Slick tricks myself (Destroyer 70 pounds 30 inches). When taking shots with your with mechs, make sure you have the animal more or less "plankdwars" . I have seen a few animals taken at QA and QT shots with Rages where the arrow enters at a angle, and then 1 blade opens and then the other, deflecting the arrow from your chosen target area (HL area). It could become a long day if this happens.

German Kinetic are the best - but they come at a price... re - sharpen and re - use them if you get them. Worth the investment.

User

Ek skiet n BW met Hoyt Carbon Matrix met 55 pond no issues, New age broadheads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2