Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Article in Magnum: Conditions of Readiness in September 08 edition

Herewith my reply to the aforementioned article.

I post it here as I have no doubt that it will not be published.

Dear Sirs

It was with growing consternation that I read the aforementioned article which appeared in your September 2008 edition.

The author's patently anti-Glock stance notwithstanding, he appears to lack an understanding of that particular pistol's design.

The Glock is, when a round is chambered, not "cocked and un-locked" as intimated by the author. The Glock makes use of a semi pre-cocked striker meaning that the first part of the trigger stroke completes the cocking process and the second part of the stroke releases the striker.

The Glock, as opposed to the 1911 (series 80 excluded), the Browning High Power and the CZ75 (B model excluded), has a striker block which prevents the striker from moving unless the trigger is pulled. It also has a drop safety, which the aforementioned pistols lack.

The argument that the trigger safety is not a safety is fallacious. Who is in the habit of pulling the trigger of their 1911 with the manual safety engaged?

Insofar as his comments with regard to range safety procedures are concerned, the "Unload, show clear, drop slide, pull trigger" procedure is standard practice in most, if not all, shooting sports. The purpose of pulling the trigger is to prove that the firearm is safe. Both the safety officer and the shooter could miss a round that remains in the chamber. What "catastrophic" result would occur if the gun was pointed at the backstop, with a round left in the chamber, and the trigger is pulled?

The author's suggestion that the above procedure was introduced in response to some perceived deficiency in the Glock design is as nonsensical as it is inaccurate.

This has been the practice in serious shooting sports since before the Glock arrived on the scene.

The author's admonition to firearm owners to understand their handgun mechanics, in the light of his apparent lack thereof, detracts somewhat from the statement's value.

Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Default Re: Article in Magnum: Conditions of Readiness in September 08 edition

Damm....SSP, now I have to make an effort to go and buy the Magnum to put your response in perspective..........

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you sent it to them!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

WTF!?!? I would like to know what exactly makes him an authority on the subject of self-defence? What are your quals, bub? Saying that you've been shooting for x-years means nothing to me.

Giving misleading, and potentially dangerous, information to the gun-owning public is extremely irresponsible! If you are reading this, "Derek Heale", TAKE HEED! >:(

BTW - Excellent SSP!
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by abhm
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you sent it to them!
    For what it's worth, yes.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Something that has worried me for a time now is that gun writing has become a career for many people, and I may be wrong, but how many 'journalists' are now writing gun articles as opposed to 'gun slinger's?' writing gun articles.

Don't get me wrong, there are loads of great gun writers out there, but some . . . . ?

I choose my literature carefully and always like to know a bit about the author before taking anything to heart where firearms are concerned.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Another R27,00 down the drain but what a hpy71 hpy71 hpy71

This bloke is smoking something very funny and he has no idea what he is talking about. He is not shooting IDPA as it has not been around that long. The only other 'defensive' shooting around that long is IPSC and if he is making these statements he is either lying or permanently on some 'trans hallucinetic' trip for the past 31 years.

I also feel like writing a letter but I wonder if it is even worth the effort to put in the energy for such a lot of BS......Derek Heale (if that is your real name) you have missed the boat completely and are misinforming the reading public with your article....

User

I've got a Magnum here somewhere where a local writer reviewed the Glock 19 and another where it was a Glock 36. If I can remeber correctly it was Keith Dryer both times. He liked both pistols and the reviews were positive. (OK its Glock, not much can go wrong ;D )

This was a few years ago.

I havent bought Magnum in about a year, so I really cannot bash it (or do I want to).

I have never heard of the new guy. Did he replace Dryer?

No, I do not think he replaced Keith. It seems he is some new 'misinformed' individual on the block....

I find it extremely offensive when clearly unqualified people write total trash on a topic they know nothing about. If Magnum wants to be taken seriously, they need to get rid of antiquated "gunwriters" and approach people who actually have a clue about tactical handgun/self-defence training. If they are not willing to do this, then they should leave the crap we're seeing out of the magazine completely.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast