Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Pretoria zoo’s black mamba missing

March 19 2013 at 08:34am
    By SAPA
    Comment on this story

INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS
    The Pretoria zoo's two-metre black mamba has escaped from its enclosure, and staff have been unable to find it, a report said.

Related Stories

Johannesburg -The Pretoria zoo's two-metre black mamba has escaped from its enclosure, and staff have been unable to find it, Beeld reported on Tuesday.
    Craig Allenby, the zoo's marketing manager, said staff realised last week that the snake's terrarium was empty.
    “The area was immediately cordoned off, and stayed cordoned off for two days while we hunted, but in vain. We suspect the snake could have slithered into the roof, but we can't get in there because of the angle and the narrow gap.”
    There was no need for hysteria, he said, as the black mamba was in all likelihood preparing for hibernation, and was in a constricted area, with little chance of it reaching any member of the public.
    “It would have to get through three doors before coming into contact with the public.”
    He said they were still trying to determine how the mamba had escaped.
    “Should something go wrong, the Eugene Marais hospital is just a call away, and ambulances will be sent out immediately.”
    Prof Graham Alexander, a snake expert from Wits, said black mambas were dangerous, although not aggressive.
    “If it feels threatened, there's a good chance that it will attack. Their poison is neurotoxic, and a bite can lead to a heart attack within 30 minutes.” - Sapa

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...2#.UUgOYzdoNpk

Default Re: Pretoria zoo’s black mamba missing

There was no need for hysteria, he said
    “If it feels threatened, there's a good chance that it will attack. Their poison is neurotoxic, and a bite can lead to a heart attack within 30 minutes.”
    Beautiful.

User

People don't quite get snakes, I often find. That proffie isn't really helping the case along either. Snakes will try to get away long before it'll bite, even when threatened.

User

Took the children there on the 09th of March. This black mamba was not a happy critter. It was reaching to the top of its terrarium and I was quite impressed with the amount of body he/she could lift. The only thing preventing its escape was a wire mesh on top of its cage. My wife remarked that it seems to be looking for something. I told her that it is looking for an escape route. Seems like I was correct.

User

"There is no need for hysteria ... the hospital is only a phone call away ... heart attack in 30 minutes." That's just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    People don't quite get snakes, I often find. That proffie isn't really helping the case along either. Snakes will try to get away long before it'll bite, even when threatened.
    Mambas are not too tolerant Toxxyc, even in the bush, but in an enclosed environment such as it's in, I'd not want to be the one looking for it.

Anyway. Zoos are terrible places, I hope it ends well for the creature.

Classic... just seen he's got his own twitter account. Should be entertaining...
    Pretoria Black Mamba ‏@PtaBlackMamba
    Mugabe & I were supposed to travel together to Rome for the Pope's inauguration. He left without me. Typical. I've got an apple for him.

User

And the unions wil undoubtely protest for dangerpay!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Mambas are not too tolerant Toxxyc, even in the bush, but in an enclosed environment such as it's in, I'd not want to be the one looking for it.

Anyway. Zoos are terrible places, I hope it ends well for the creature.
    Oh I know they're badly tempered snakes, but even more so I've never had one attack me in the bush simply because I was close to it. On the contrary, I've encountered quite a few black mambas in the field while stalking for kudu in the thick bushes on hilltops riddled with antheaps before, and never did the simple "stand still and wait it out" tactic play out wrong for me. The mamba would stop, lift it's head to take a look at whatever is making the noise, see that the movement is gone and slowly keep on moving. The closest I've ever been to one was about 1.5m, with a .243 in my hand (the same one I shot my first animal with, actually) and an older gentleman behind me. He kept yakking in my ear "Skiet hom! Skiet hom!" but I just froze and the snake let in the other direction after a few seconds. They're not aggressive in the sense that they'll attack and chase you around PTA Zoo, that's a given... :P

User

Anyone ask BigT for an alibi?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast