Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default CZ 75 P07 Duty - first gun and first time gun owner Part 1

First gun - first time gun owner...

The main purpose of this review is to give you personal opinions regarding CZ 75 P07 Duty from the perspective of first time gun owner, as well as first gun owned.
    I am not an expert regarding handguns or any other weapons for that matter, so it will give you inside of someone who owns his first gun.

Gun came in nice back box with golden latches and CZ logos all over.
    Inside there is a gun (obviously...) 2 mags holding 16 rounds each, cleaning rods, manuals and CD.
    My gun came with safety instead of decocker and magazine release was configured for right-handed people. So, as a lefty my first thing was to change it. There is a powerpoint presentation on CD how to do it, but as far as I am concern it made no sense, so I looked on youtube and found quite good clip of how it must be done. I can tell you now, I am glad I do not have to do it again as it is pain in the ass. Other than that everything else is easy.
    Some may ask about guiding rod which is plastic, but new CZ comes with the rod that is flatten at the end to keep that spring on it, not like previous once where spring could come off as soon as you removed guide rod from the slide. It makes life so much easier to assemble everything.
    There were lots of people complaining about it, so CZ made a change.
    Removing the slide took time to get use to it, but now I can do it under 15 sec. I won't field strip that gun, so as far as I am concern 15 sec or 5 min makes not difference in my eyes.
    Everything was covered in protective grease/oil, so I did strip everything to get it clean. I think guys in CZ submerged this gun and magazines in oil. Everything was greasy. Anyway, after cleaning it, I did what most probably do - lube slide railing and any other part that was shinning (signs of friction). I used cotton buds to give all parts nice lube cover. I thought that by using cotton buds I won't put too much or too little. Sometimes little is more, so I did what felt right.
    After quick maintenance, I got everything back together (no spare parts left, so I did good job), I racked slide couple of times to make sure that lube is evenly distributed and any small excess has been wiped off.
    So, that what I did as far as cleaning handgun is concern and preparing it for shooting range use.
    Here is my first experience on the range with this gun.
    Well, it feels perfect in my hand. Not too big and not too small either. All my fingers have perfect place on the gun and fit. I still can't find correct place for my right hand, but I hope that will come in time.
    As a comparison - first 2 targets are from using Glock19 and CZ P07 Duty.
    1st target is CZ and 2nd target is Glock. Those were taken when I tried Glock and CZ before I bought CZ.
    Range Experience in Part 2...
    Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpgUntitled5.jpg

Default CZ 75 P07 Duty - first gun and first time gun owner Part 2/3

I used 255 rounds in total. 200 where reloads from Nobelteq 9mm 124gr CMJ and 50 Magtech 9mm Luger 115gr FMC (pics attached) and I had 15 rounds from my friend 9mm Luger Hollow Point. The last is his everyday carry ammo and he gave it to me to see if I like it. Here is the thing - he has multiple guns and various ammo, so he probably knows and feels the differences, but for me 9mm is 9mm. So, I loaded 5 rounds from each to first mag and 15 rounds of reloads to second mag. Some may ask why 15 rounds, if my clips handle 15??? well, to put that 16th round in was a pain, so I left 15. I shot at target at +-10m away. I must say - it is not like on the movies. Holes were all over the target sheet. I noticed that even that I am lefty, my dominant eye seems to be right. That forced me to realign gun after each shot to right hand side. I am sure it looked very funny to keep gun aligned to my right eye. Anyway, after 50 rounds or so, I decided to keep gun on the left and move my head so right eye gets better alignment. It made too little difference until I partially closed my left eye. Much better, but still holes were all over. Then I noticed that my arms get stiff. I was holding gun to tight, way too tight.
    Untitled7.jpgUntitled8.jpgUntitled6.jpg

Default CZ 75 P07 Duty - first gun and first time gun owner Part 3/3

The last 50 rounds I barely held that gun, just enough not to let it out of my hand. You can see results on the last target.
    As for the performance - well, this gun did not care what rounds I loaded. I think it would shoot stones if I fed it to it, but guys with more experience in shooting may have other opinions on that. From my very limited experience (250 rounds) this gun worked perfectly.
    I booked shooting range for Saturday again. I need to get used to this gun and practise is the key, so I shall shoot as much and as often as possible.
    The 5th Target sheet was different - I was aiming at each square independently to see where I am messing things up. I noticed that aiming at the bottom right, my rounds are going too low. Right side is when I was aligning gun to right eye, Left side of target - where I was aligning my eye to a gun. Centre is some kind of keeping gun in front of me and testing both eyes.
    I know it seems funny or even stupid, but I really need to find out the best way of aiming and holding my gun. Any advices on how to improve shooting and aiming as well as holding my gun are very welcome

email.jpg

User

Default Re: CZ 75 P07 Duty - first gun and first time gun owner Part 3/3

Awesome gun, congratz!
    There are loads of videos on youtube regarding gripping a pistol etc..
    Best now is to do some dry fire drills. Balance an empty shell on the front of the slide, see if you can get it to balance on the front sight. Rack the slide, get the shell to balance en dry fire without the shell falling off. This will get you to squeeze the trigger without disrupting the sight picture. This is a stupid technique but got my bullets on target in no time.. Literally from one range trip to another I got my grouping to touching holes.

Get some snap caps, don't think the CZ will love lots of dry fire, although a little practice will not hurt.

Remember safety first, I don't even do dry fire drills with live rounds in same room as me.

Practice practice practice.. And enjoy bud.

Nice write ups!

User

Agree with Streetracer

Much of what you consider to be shooting 'all over the place' can be rectified by proper trigger control, which requires lots of practice (and some one-on-one training perhaps)

We all started somewhere... At least you are able to keep all your shots ont he target at least, so that is an awesome start.

Welcome to being a gun owner, and congrats!

User

When I started shooting I was compensating for the recoil and shot all over an A3 target from 5meters.

Had to fool my brain by squeezing the trigger and not thinking when the shot will go off.

Now its in the program to squeeze and follow through.

Default Re: CZ 75 P07 Duty - first gun and first time gun owner Part 1

short update after playing with my new toy for 2 months...
    Well, EDC... If concealment is the objective, I do not think any gun in the holster will comply...
    Holsters make that gun even bigger. I have 2 holsters - CZ OWB long paddle polymer holster and shoulder holster. I really like CZ holster. Great fit, easy to draw and re-holster, 2 independent retention buttons, which are easy to operate and most importantly - it can be configured very easily for left-handed. Downfall - crappy belt. Now I understand why everyone says - get a proper, good quality gun belt....
    as for my shoulder holster - it was made for G19 right-handed, but I managed to change gun holster to fit left side. That holster comes with pouches for 2 spare mags and here is a small issue. Fully loaded gun (16+1) under right shoulder and only 1 mag on the left, will pull your holster over the time more to the right. I really need to buy 3rd mag to even the weight. Other than that, concealment is easy.
    I was very concern regarding currying FA in the car or motorcycle, since neither was design to cater for that. CZ holster - as great as it is, isn't very comfortable in the car. Shoulder holster on the other hand is perfect. I use CZ holster over weekends or Friday where more casual clothes are permitted. Mon-Thu full formal outfit is a must and there is no way I can hide that gun with CZ holster and not look like a hobo...
    Now regarding sharp edges, as some were worry about it getting couth or being in the way. I did not notice any of that either with CZ holster or shoulder holster. I must say - it took me few days to get used to carrying FA under my shoulder, but that will happen to any gun.
    Mags.... I still can't get that 16th round in that mag easily, so I carry 15 +1.
    Carrying conditions - I carry half-cocked and locked, in both holsters. I tried few times cocked and locked, but that still makes me uncomfortable. I did carry with empty chamber in cocked and locked to check if that hammer will fall, and it did not. So I am sure carrying either way is safe. I did read in manual about all safety feature that gun has to prevent AD, and in my mind one really needs to be a special person to have AD. You can drop this gun on the hammer in either position and I am sure it will not fire - not that I will put that to a test, but I did read, that has been done and P07 passed with flying colours.
    Next buy - very good quality shoulder rig for Lefties...

User

Hi rizla.
    Half cock not the way to carry IMO, either cocked and locked or hammer fully down on a chambered round. But any way let's hear what the more experienced guys have to say?
    Nice post btw

Quote Originally Posted by riyaadh View Post
    Hi rizla.
    Half cock not the way to carry IMO, either cocked and locked or hammer fully down on a chambered round. But any way let's hear what the more experienced guys have to say?
    Nice post btw
    You see, here where I have a problem...
    Some say cocked&locked, others say Haf-cocked&locked and there is 3rd group saying hammer all the way down. It should not be a problem to carry half-cocked as P07 comes with decocker, which I think lowers hammer to half-cocked position anyway... Anybody with decocker - please confirm.
    Well, CZ manual says - it can be carried either way, as there are advanced safety features to prevent any AD. I'm not a gun expert, nor I designed one, so I need to rely on the knowledge of those who did and knows better. But, as I said in the other post - I will be in CZ factory late July, so I will ask them directly, since they made that gun and know better than anybody else (not to disrespect those who have great knowledge), but I prefer to hear it straight from the source).
    I will post all answers.

User

Carry on lowering the hammer by hand and you will probably see you don't need to be that special to AD?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast