Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default EDC when you are sick?

So, you EDC

What do you do when you fall ill; sick as a dog, weak as a kitten, disorientated, hallucinating, nightmares of things going bump in the night, battling with people transforming into monsters, etc.

1. Do you lock up your firearm(s)?

2. Do you weather the storm (illness), hoping and praying that you don't cause any harm to yourself and/ or, near and dear ones, whilst keeping your firearm close to you?

3. If your answer to 1. is yes, at what point do you lock your firearm(s) away?

Thanks

Default Re: EDC when you are sick?

I sometimes wonder whether we are not too occupied with measuring input in stead of output. For example counting the number of practice rounds per month or the number of years experience, as opposed to measuring the ability to hold your own in your chosen sport or whatever.

How "every day" your version of EDC is, is another example of measuring input. If you could measure output it would be your total exposure. So the unemotional answer to your question would be if you think that carrying the gun reduces your risk, carry it. If you think it increases your risk, put it in the safe. If you're not sure, pick one, you won't be too far wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    So, you EDC.

What do you do when you fall ill; sick as a dog, weak as a kitten, disorientated, hallucinating, nightmares of things going bump in the night, battling with people transforming into monsters, etc.
    There is no easy answer to this. Your question touches different areas.

Being sick as a dog or weak as a kitten does not have to effect the soundness of your mind. In this case the only trouble one can have is being too sick to aim and shoot. In that case you should already be under medical supervision which generally means your firearm is somewhere safe.

Being of unsound mind for whatever reason (hallucinating, disorientation etc) one should not handle a firearm; one should not even be permitted to do so because one becomes a danger to self and society.

Please keep in mind that further answers differ due to the origin of the problem. Some ideas:
    - If one takes medication causing unforeseen side effects one should lock up AND HAND OVER THE KEYS as soon as one realises that trouble is at hand. It obviously means that one realises it.
    - If one has nightmares which might cause you to start shooting while still asleep or partially awake the firearm should stay out of reach, and one should go for help.
    - If there are only nightmares but one does not react to them in a dangerous manner, just go for help.

Why do you ask these questions?

User

Counter question:

Who is going to protect you from the violent criminals of this world while you are down and out and unable to escape?

One should at least think about all of these things while you still have the ability to.

User

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    So, you EDC

1. Do you lock up your firearm(s)?

2. Do you weather the storm (illness), hoping and praying that you don't cause any harm to yourself and/ or, near and dear ones, whilst keeping your firearm close to you?

3. If your answer to 1. is yes, at what point do you lock your firearm(s) away?

Thanks
    That must be some lekker gunga your smoking bro.

User

If you endangering those who live with you rather put it away.

User

Is this even a question...

If you think your judgment is compromised, don't carry.
    Best case scenario, it's going to make you hesitate and in real SD event that could mean losing, so why bother.

User

Recently I was sick as a dog, and so sick I couldn't stand for more than a minute without getting dizzy. So weak I couldn't climb a few stairs.
    It's at these points where we need to decide what we are physically capable of doing.

User

i don't think there's an easy answer; sometimes, you could go to bed feeling slightly flu-ish, during the night, fever shoots up, and ...

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

There are controlled tests done that show a person with flu is worse that a person over the alcohol limit in the use of a motor vehicle . So I would think that if you that way take the necessary steps to be safe.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast