Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Posting a scope from the US?

Got a Weaver K4 Steeltube handed to me by hand by a friend who flew it back in his hand luggage. The SA customs seem to be OK with normal hunting scopes, but quite stuck-up when it gets to "sniper equipment"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I was just thinking that adding $250 to the price and the hassle of delays may not be worth it.....

KBK
    ...sheez yes...I am with you on that, thats why I am doing a bit "homework"...

User

True true.

KBK

User

Hey guys, my buddy has ordered a few Zeiss scopes for other guys from The States and hasn't once yet had a problem....

Maybe contact the guys and ask??

http://www.4scopes.com/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

User

The scope I was after was a SWFA SS10x42 and is used by the US military. I decided against trying my luck as I don't want to risk getting my sister or myself in the kak.

I did go ahead and purchase a MTC viper 10x44 today. I'm a bit sceptical but it seems to be half decent for the price. Will see how it goes.

User

I ordered a Zeiss scope from 4scopes.com mentioned 2 posts above and......

I received the scope today - 8 days after I ordered it!! Fantastic service from 4Scopes to in terms of follow up emails. Slowest part (surprise surprise) was Fedex's SA clearing agents who took nearly 2 days to pick up that I'd paid the VAT/import duty. For what it's worth, they label the scope as "sports optics" which seems to satisfy the US customs Nazis.

Fedex shipping costs around $60 so not cheap but well worth it for the speed.

Only slight drawback of 4Scopes is their relatively limited range - but I'd buy again from them in a heartbeat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The SA customs seem to be OK with normal hunting scopes, but quite stuck-up when it gets to "sniper equipment"
    And the most prolific sniper in history used iron sights...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    I ordered a Zeiss scope from 4scopes.com mentioned 2 posts above and......

I received the scope today - 8 days after I ordered it!! Fantastic service from 4Scopes to in terms of follow up emails. Slowest part (surprise surprise) was Fedex's SA clearing agents who took nearly 2 days to pick up that I'd paid the VAT/import duty. For what it's worth, they label the scope as "sports optics" which seems to satisfy the US customs Nazis.

Fedex shipping costs around $60 so not cheap but well worth it for the speed.

Only slight drawback of 4Scopes is their relatively limited range - but I'd buy again from them in a heartbeat.
    I have also bought a couple scopes from Joel at 4 scopes with no problems but a guy I know in Canada had 2 scopes he ordered from them confiscated in transit a couple weeks ago.So be careful
    Currently i cant even order a sunshade for a scope from the US because it is a "Optics component"or something

User

Yip, I hear you - it is a bit of gamble, which was why I only bought one scope despite the shipping being the same cost for 2. Buying through them was a bit of an experiment for me - risk/reward kinda thing

User

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Oblivious View Post
    I have also bought a couple scopes from Joel at 4 scopes with no problems but a guy I know in Canada had 2 scopes he ordered from them confiscated in transit a couple weeks ago.So be careful
    Currently i cant even order a sunshade for a scope from the US because it is a "Optics component"or something
    How exactly do I be careful? I'm planning on buying optics soon and (after reading this thread) really don't know what to do, because a friend offered to bring some stuff back with him from the us.
    What do I do? :(

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast