Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Another G19 holster thread - Kydex vs Leather

I am also new to the Glock 19 world and Holsters, you mention names and acronyms here, doesn't mean any thing to me, sorry yet to learn the lingo...

Maybe you want to post a photo of your various holsters here.

Thanks

User

For more info on Kydex, click the link.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/forumdisplay.php?68-Carter-Custom-Kydex%AE-Carry-Solutions-(40-689)VSa

Also - here's a quick description of the abbreviations used:

IWB - Inside the waistband
    OWB -Outside the waistband

User

Thank you. much appreciated

User

The more I read up about the topic, the more I am inspired to make my own Kydex/leather hybrid holster. Where can I get a Glock 19 training gun to use for the moulding process? I bought a Ghost Civilian iwb from Safari&Outdoor yesterday for R825, but I can already see all the sharp edges which are going to cause discomfort. R825 for a piece of leather, two steel clips and a bit of plastic??

User

Must say the CKCS multicarry I have for my G19 is not uncomfortable at all, well not the kydex itself. The only thing that chows me is the grip with the gen4 texture.
    I carry it IWB with C-clips.

From my carrying experience I will offer the following:
    - I don't do cheapy nylon holsters, they're terrible, close up after drawing and severy irretate my skin, complete dislike.
    - leather is difficult as you get different types, the thinner and softer stuff is on the same level as nylon, closes up after drawing etc. The thicker stuff in theory tends to be better but I have yet to find a decent one locally (admittedly I have not tried hard, after my experiences with a certain leather maker mentioned herein I disregarded leather completely due to lack of service).
    - I like kydex, and more specifically Geoffs. The kydex stays open after draw and gives the aforemention positive feeling when reholstering. It doesn't bug my skin, conceals nicely. My only gripe is the clips, I tend to break them every year at least once. (This is not a carter thing, its a plastic thing)
    -mtacs are very highly regarded as they brigde the gap between kydex only and leather only. I find them to conceal slightly better as the profile appears narrower on what I have used. That being said I dislike how "wide" they are, they take up a lot of hip space which for me was too uncomfortable to continue using.

Overall, geoff is my guy. His items are no frills and even less BS and work very well. Its a solution I will make use of for years to come. (No, I get no commision for saying this :) )

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post

Overall, geoff is my guy. His items are no frills and even less BS and work very well. Its a solution I will make use of for years to come. (No, I get no commision for saying this :) )
    Only free clips next time around

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    It seems you're not the only one Steve. Everyone here on my side that I've chatted to have recommended him without a doubt.
    OBVIOUSLY, it boils down to personal preference. But there are more success stories than not. So when the time is right and the moolah is ready, I'll go get an IWB (MultiCarry) from him.
    As a side note - how's the Rotor holding up? ;) You're welcome to PM if not wanting to derail thread :D

Just to be clear that 1911 Desert Digi Cam holster was one of my own holsters that I gave to Paul after I had used it for some time. The Digi Cam is printed onto the Kydex and will wear off from use but does not just come off during the manufacture. The internal wear was from using a standard 1911 to mould the holster and then carrying my modified Norinco 1911 with VZ Operator II grips in it and I was just too busy to modify it to suit my gun.

Been carrying my Glock 19 in Geoff Carters IWB Kydex holster with the C Clip and it is the dogs bollocks. Super concealable,comfortable and top quality

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast