Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default New Licence Applications - Strategy

Hey guys

I have submitted an application for a new licence and competency at the Gallo Manor police station. Due to the fact that two of the people who went through to do interviews for me said that the guys really struggled to find my application, I feel that I need to track the progress closely in order to prevent it getting "lost". However, whenever I've called or even gone there, I am just blown off, with them telling me to be patient (cue wry smile) and that they will call me if there is anything outstanding. They refuse to look on the system or to even ask who I am.

I understand the need to be as polite and calm as possible, to prevent them from just chucking the application in the bin, but my questions are:

1.) How do you get assurance that your application isn't going to sit there for 6 months before you realise that you forgot some trivial thing which is preventing your application from moving?

2.) How do you get actual, accurate updates as to where your application is, without being told that you must be patient and they'll call you?

3.) Are there any other useful tips or strategies that might make this process go a little more smoothly for all of us hopeful gun owners out there?

Thanks guys

User

Default Re: New Licence Applications - Strategy

Other than organising a country wide protest, not much we can do.
    I did make a point of getting to know the Orificer that handled my paper work. I always asked to speak to him directly without explaining why. If you just ask to speak to xy or z they just put you through. Then xy or z can not just put the phone down on you.

User

It really does suck that there's nothing we can do. What makes it even worse is that the okes at the cop shop know it.

User

If your station won't check it, contact the provincial firearm office or CFR Call Centre who will check it for you.
    If it still shows that it hasn't been captured or sent from your Station to Provincial yet, then go see the Station Commander and complain.
    If it's still not done the following week, go back to the Station Commander and complain again.

He'll get pissed off very quickly about the moaning and make sure it gets done.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Thanks man. I'll give that a try. Does anyone have an idea of how long it typically takes before they should have captured it on the system?

My app got captured soon after I apllied but no interviews got done till 7 months later meaning its almost a year since I applied and it hasn't even left the staion for pretoria yet! >:(
    I just kept going in and asking (the same person) what was going on.
    Be like a tick with a smile on your face.
    Good Luck!! :)

User

i dont have answers to your queries, but one way to know whether the application has been captured or not is to call the FRC call centre on 012 353 6111

User

What's funny is to hear the surprise when you ask them the status after a month or a month and a half. They can't believe that someone is asking after only 6 weeks? "Ask again in 3 months", they say. hpy194

User

My application took about 1 week to get loaded on the system and also safe inspection done

User

New application. My application was captured at local SAPS on 04/03/2009. Come Saturday it will be 5 months. Phoned FRC this morning, my application is still lying with the local station. Asked the lady if this is normal and she said no and that I should take it up with local SAPS.

I made the mistake of phoning and going there personally. You need to send them a fax asking for an update and asking them to reply by fax as well. Then you build up a paper trail (as evidence of neglicence) and it is the only way that you can put pressure on them. I started with this process on Friday. The clerk has got 72 calendar hours to reply, then he gets another fax. Will keep you updated on the process.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast