I got the idea to post this recipe, when going through the “best for the pot” thread, over on the hunting forum.

My favourite way with rocky breasts is:

- sear them on both sides in hot butter/goose fat/duck/fat. Take them out the pan to rest for 5mins. - Deglaze pan with a capful of brandy and take it off the heat for a minute or so.

- Place pan back on a low heat, add 4 table spoons of plum jam and about the same amount of good soy sauce (Kikkoman, at the least...dont mess around with Hastey Tastey and other MSG loaded bombs), let this bubble for a minute or so.

- Slice the breasts up, dont worry if they are a bit bloody still, as you then add them back to pan to heat up for 2 mins or so. This takes away the largest part of the redness.

Serve with whatever blows your hair back. My Mrs likes them on top of a salad for a summer lunch – which is when we shoot our rockies here in the Cape.

I also do duck breasts in this way, and I like these on mustard mash, with a pile of steamed veg. Easily the match of a good hearty shiraz! You will have to go a long way to find better winter fare.

[Hot damn, look at that, it is lunch time...thought I was getting hungry!]