Default Bullseye from 1,000 yards: Shooting the $17,000 Linux-powered rifle

Apologies if it's been posted before. Interesting article and fascinating concept, but would feel a lot like "cheating" to me (that, and I don't have $17k for a rifle :p). If one thinks about it, though, it's a fairly logical confluence of technology and guns, over and above the materials-science advancements we've seen.

Brief excerpt from the article:

My photographer, Steve, squints through a computerized scope squatting atop a big hunting rifle. We're outdoors at a range just north of Austin, Texas, and the wind is blowing like crazy—enough so that we're having to dial in more and more wind adjustment on the rifle's computer. The spotter and I monitor Steve's sight through an iPad linked to the rifle via Wi-Fi, and we can see exactly what he's seeing through the scope. Steve lines up on his target downrange—a gently swinging metal plate with a fluorescent orange circle painted at its center—and depresses a button to illuminate it with the rifle's laser."Good tag?" he asks, softly.
    "Good tag," replies the spotter, watching on the iPad. He leaves the device in my hands and looks through a conventional high-powered spotting scope at the target Steve has selected. The wind stops momentarily. "Send it," he calls out.
    Steve pulls the trigger, but nothing immediately happens. On the iPad's screen, his reticle shifts from blue to red and drifts toward the marked target. Even though I'm expecting it, the rifle's report is startling when it fires.
    A second later, the spotter calls out, "That's a hit!"

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...powered-rifle/

User

Default Re: Bullseye from 1,000 yards: Shooting the $17,000 Linux-powered rifle

Indeed a repost!

Now go sit in the corner and repent :)

Default Re: Bullseye from 1,000 yards: Shooting the $17,000 Linux-powered rifle

Damn you, vBulletin search function! :(

*edit*

Mods can delete this post :p