User

Default High or low velocity. What is more accurate?

A friend and I started competing with one another for the best target and best overall average some months ago. It started as a very informal shoot and grew into a rather serious- every sunday competition with .22 rifles and a 9mm pistol. With the price of ammo and the amount of shooting we do, we were forced to start reloading. To be safe + without a decent scale we loaded the minimum recommended charge. Will the difference in velocity significantly affect the accuracy of the 9mm over the 10m range? Our 15 round groupings are down to < 10 cm. How much (little) error could be attributed to ammo? We use 115 gr fmj bullets.

Default Re: High or low velocity. What is more accurate?

IMO at those distances you would want ot go "low" velocities. "Low" velocities would reduce recoil that could influence you negatively. If I look at these target shooting .22 sports, I see that these blokes do not go for the high velocity ammo but the standard velocity ammo and I would say that there is a reason for this. Also if I look at the Somchem reloading tables and I look at the 38spl target loads (with full wadcutter bullets), I see that the velocities are also reduced velocities.

I would say that you can go to low and experience the opposite but the lower velocities in 9mm over 10meter distances could give the better accuracy.

User

I also done re-loading for my 9mm par, but found that the low starting loads was not for my pistol (Star M30).
    The slide did not move, so I had to retrack the slide for every round I fired.
    Low velocities for target shooting is good, but beware not to go to low.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    IMO at those distances you would want ot go "low" velocities. "Low" velocities would reduce recoil that could influence you negatively. If I look at these target shooting .22 sports, I see that these blokes do not go for the high velocity ammo but the standard velocity ammo and I would say that there is a reason for this. Also if I look at the Somchem reloading tables and I look at the 38spl target loads (with full wadcutter bullets), I see that the velocities are also reduced velocities.

I would say that you can go to low and experience the opposite but the lower velocities in 9mm over 10meter distances could give the better accuracy.
    Everything on Somchem's reloading table is underspec'd for safety's sake, quite frustrating when you want to load carry rounds...

User

Most guns tend to have a "sweet spot" at which they produce the best accuracy with a given bullet. However, with auto loading arms the reliable functioning takes precedence. Experimentation is the only way to find out.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

low propellant loads definately affects the ejection of the spent cartridge.
    Rather go middle to higher load. While you do have recoil you also have a higher velocity that will carry a straighter line (in theory)
    sleep when you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank

Everything on Somchem's reloading table is underspec'd for safety's sake, quite frustrating when you want to load carry rounds...
    The question is about accuracy and not about carry ammo and what would be the more accurate load...low or high!!!

If the goal is to be as accurate as can be and the case is just able to eject and load a new round...then so be it as it is the goal of this excersise.

I agree with all other comments that reliability can become problematic at lower loads....but once again....the question was about accuracy. If reliability remains intact and you are at the lower end and you obtain the required accuracy....then so be it.

JUST REMEMBER NOT TO USE THESE LOW LOADS FOR ANY EVERYDAY CARRY AND SELF DEFENCE............

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank

The question is about accuracy and not about carry ammo and what would be the more accurate load...low or high!!!

If the goal is to be as accurate as can be and the case is just able to eject and load a new round...then so be it as it is the goal of this excersise.

I agree with all other comments that reliability can become problematic at lower loads....but once again....the question was about accuracy. If reliability remains intact and you are at the lower end and you obtain the required accuracy....then so be it.

JUST REMEMBER NOT TO USE THESE LOW LOADS FOR ANY EVERYDAY CARRY AND SELF DEFENCE............
    Corne'
    I know what the topic relates to, was just saying that Somchem's tables don't provide decent power loads in most calibers, whether for carry loads or practise, doesn't matter.
    I normally use MP200 on my 9x19, 115gr CMJ's doing around 1150FPS, which I find to be the optimal load for my Star M43.

User

No worries, will never dream of carrying the stuff unless it happens to be a nightmare!
    We also use mp200 with a 115gr CMJ bullet. With 4.5gr powder we did have some issues with cartridge ejection but it seemed to be related to how tight one's grip was on the gun. I tend to hold on a bit tighter than my shooting buddy and never had ejection problems untill i specifically tested a weaker grip.
    Tried some 4.8gr loads this Sunday it seems like a perfect balance! Low recoil, accurate and much more reliable.