Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73

Default Re: DIY Rotary Tumbler

I point a desktop fan towards the wiper motor and transformer to keep them cool. Seems to work well. I also use 2kg of pins irrespective of the number of brass in the drum.

User

Im almost finished with mine.

I used a 20l JoJo drum, and a bus wiper motor with a 12v 20amp power supply ( only one i could find in town, my motor has to run backwards to grab the bolt to turn the drum, but the problem is i just read that its not supposed to run backwards thats why its getting hot? I ran it for 40min and couldn't touch it.

The only other problem is its leaking at the tap but thats a simple fix.

User

I built myself a tumbler from the scrapyard. it took me about 2 hrs to slap together and cost me nothing.
    the table is an old woodworking clamp table thing, adjustind the tracking of the belt is simply done with the old clamping mechanism.

The motor is from a discarded carpet shampoeing machine , 400w with 2 gearboxes and 2 shafts that used to take 2 rotary brushes.
    I had to extend the shaft that I am using and I removed the old grease from the gearboxes and repacked it with new grease.

The rollers has bearings inside so the shafts are simple 10mm round bar.
    The pully on the roller is an old trolleyjack wheel.

I have a bunch of different bottles that I use, but I prefer this old sodastream bottle. I takes only 200 x 9mmP cases , but I rarely do big batches.

It does not look nearly as good as the others on this tread, but total cost of the build is R0 and it has done 15 batches varying from 50 x9mmP to 200 x 308 Win/ batch so far with no problems.

User

Ive skimmed through this thread.

What are your thoughts on dry tumbling in an actual tumble dryer if you just disconnect the heat?

My only thought would be that the "free fall" from the top of the drum to the bottom could be an issue due to the large diameter or would the dry media be adequate to soften the fall?

User

You could do it and reduce or eliminate the drop by filling the open space.

User

An old blanket or comforter might do the trick. I haven't done it but might work

Quote Originally Posted by Tman21 View Post
    Ive skimmed through this thread.

What are your thoughts on dry tumbling in an actual tumble dryer if you just disconnect the heat?

My only thought would be that the "free fall" from the top of the drum to the bottom could be an issue due to the large diameter or would the dry media be adequate to soften the fall?
    You would also have to then have a boat load of media in such a large drum. Unless you slow down the speed or something so that the cases only tumble at the bottom or something to that effect.

You could also just use the dryer's motor and belt to create a tumbler using a bucket, it's been done before.

User

I hear you. Im just throwing ideas around during lockdown but think ill settle with a motor and 20L plastic paint drum to wet tumble.

User

If you want to tumble 50 cases I dont think it worthwhile, but if I wanted to do a couple of thousand in one go I would probably give it a try myself.
    I would use a watertight container , wrap it in a blanket so the container is not knocking around the dryer.

I know of a guy that had a bunch of heavy canvas bags made up by an upholstery company. He then puts dry media (from Organic Abrasives in Montagu 0236141139) and the batches of different cases into their own baggies. He then waits for wife to leave the house on an errand or bookclub and then puts all the bags into the tumble drier (with the heat off). He runs the tumble drier to 2hours, or so. The then takes out the bags and runs the tumble drier again for 30mins with a dampened towel to remove the copper oxide smell that the tumbling cases generate.

He has since gone over to wet tumbling with SSteel pins.....I understand.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73