Default Where are your knives made?

All this knife talk prompted me to get a knife as I was feeling left out. Then I realised I didn't actually know what to look for. I'd read the topic here about knives, which was really interesting and was thinking of getting either a Spyderco Delica or CRKT M16, along those lines. When I came home I had a Gerber Firestorm, Gerber I always thought was a good brand. I now see that its made in Taiwan? Where are the others quality brand knives made? Are most made in the East now? Should this influence what brand I buy?

Heres a pic.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Where are your knives made?

Craig nice knife

where did you get it?
    How much?
    wheres mine? ;D

seriously my S&W's were drop forged in China, My khuhkri in Nepal My Gerber has made in the US on it as does my Kershaw (dont know if this is general or model specific)
    ok so the East has a tremendous history in blade making and I have zero problems with a made in China stamp on anything I ownexcept Pistols where all I want to see is made in Austria on it ;D!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

You go to China and you get a factory where the one production line produces a R9.99 flea market knife and from the next production line you get a knife that will set you back R999.99. I do not have a problem with the Chinese produced products as you go to them, you give them the design, the specifications of materials and the quality control you require from them and you can get a quality product.

Spyderco is normally made in Seki-City in Japan which I understand has a good reputation in this regard although there are models that are made in Taiwan. CRKT's also seems to come from Taiwan as well as KA-BAR. Cold Steel is made in Japan, Taiwan and.... South Africa (some models of machetes).

Off the topic but certain parts for Wilson Combat are manufactured in...... South Africa.

User

All of my knifes are custom made and designed in South Africa by a VERY skilled knife maker. Here are three of my knives.
    If anyone else is interested, contact me offline and I can supply his contact number.

User

Corne, the Wilson Combat part = not any more. The KZ project has been relocated to the USA. No more to head here the easy way I am afraid. Pity!

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    Corne, the Wilson Combat part = not any more. The KZ project has been relocated to the USA. No more to head here the easy way I am afraid. Pity!
    At least I was not totally wrong... lv29

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    When I came home I had a Gerber Firestorm, Gerber I always thought was a good brand. I now see that its made in Taiwan? Where are the others quality brand knives made? Are most made in the East now? Should this influence what brand I buy?
    They save on production cost. It should not influence the brand. There are quite a lot of brand names having some or even most of their models made in the east .....

User

Talking

Interesting topic...
    My wife's knives are all made by Fu-King tool company of Formosa.
    My knives are all made by me.

User

Here are some interesting thoughts from the SOG collectors club on the Japan (Seki) v Taiwan/China debate as far as SOG is concerned.

http://www.sogknivescollectors.com/hownowsog.php

It appears that Seki manufactured SOG's dating from the 80's and 90's are regarded as superior to the more recent Taiwan/China produced ones.

I own an original SOG Tomcat, a Tech II and a Seal 2000, all Seki manufactured and dating from the late 80's to the late 90's.

They are very good quality, but I have not personally compared them to Taiwan/China models.

Boker, Solingen Germany approached us to replicate Exkelibur model knives, I understand the replicas are actually made in China somewhere. The replicas are well made and good value for money. I have seen chinese replication sof other knives and also workshop equipment that are very good, that is not to say there are no duds out there though. I think that a reutable company sub-contracting out such work is duty bound to assure the quality - but it is also possible that 'pirate' models may in fact not be commissioned by the 'reputable' company in the first place!