Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine pot

Default Porcupine pot

Okay so i was lucky enough to get a "doring vark "porcupine from one of my mates and after some serious graaft to get all the quills out started looking around for a recipe for it . what i eventually found from hours on the net was that the "rugvel"or back skin is a delicasy or so they say but unless i done something very wrong wasn't overly impressed with that part , But on the other hand the meat itself was brilliant we cooked that in a potjie and done a beef pot aswell worried that people wouldn't like the taste of the porcupine boy was i wrong they flattened the porcupine pot and didn't touch the beef will try post some pics

Default Re: Porcupine pot

Interesting , never tried porcupine meat.

How about posting the recipe for the rest of us?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

it was plucked clean if that is the right word as in photo 1 and then the skin was scored and it was put in a woster sauce and salt marinade with a bit of garlic and then put on the braai till golden brown

sorry it was wind dried before being braaied

User

We have some which terrorise our dogs. Loathe to shoot them. Now maybe I'll also try some! thanks for the post!

User

I tried the skin in the Karoo over December.

Cleaned properly, wind dried, touched by garlic butter, smothered in apricot jam.

Braaied over a very low heat for hours while we enjoyed some choice red wine from the KWV.

It was kak.

User

Were we do pest controlling I shoot, and the farm laborers eat. They cant wait for the bakkie to come back after a "drive out" session.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I tried the skin in the Karoo over December.

Cleaned properly, wind dried, touched by garlic butter, smothered in apricot jam.

Braaied over a very low heat for hours while we enjoyed some choice red wine from the KWV.

It was kak.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

Porcupines - frogs and tortoises, soft spot of mine. I am a softie hunter, always worrying about the animal and nature and clean kills. Yet I usually do 2 animals a month.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast