Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Help identify B.S.A .303 rifle

Thanks Daan for the info. It clerified some questions I had. It is amazing how many variations there are of this calibre. I just came from a hunt were 3 out of the nine hunters were using 303 (all different). The others were 308 243 and 270. We hunted springbok and the 303 did the best (least meat damage and mostly kill shots!) Good rifles and marksmen.

Hi Daan, I need your advise please. I have looked at a BSA 303 as per your second photo today. It still has its original sights, magazine cutoff, charge safety on the bolt action. The rifle needs some tlc, as the barrel is extremely dirty and the wood has seen better days, looks like it was clamped in a bench clamp for some reason.
    I am worried that I apply for the rifle licence, etc. and the rifle does not even shoot once I have cleaned and refurbished it. My friends dad do not use the rifle, nor does he have cleaning equipment etc. He got the rifle from his dad.
    The yardage adjuster seems to be welded on. I like the rifle but unfortunaly are having econd thoughts as I do not even now if there is any rust inside the barrel and whether it will still shoot.
    If I end up taking the rifle over from him, Would I be able to get some wood components to make the rifle stock look better?
    what would you suggest I do with regards seeing whether the rifle still shoots?

Really good 303's are pretty cheap. Why not just buy a decent instead of messing around with stuffed up old thing?

User

Mr Holtzhausen;

Pictures would make for better advice.

A few things; you will have to run a patch through the barrel, even better, clean it properly, to see if it is still good.
    I've seen barrels that looked horrible at first glance, but turn out to be still quite good after cleaning them up.
    You say he haven't got cleaning equipment; easy to make a simple pull-through with a piece of string. Cut a few patches, and Q-20 or WD40 will be a good enough as a cleaning agent just to get an idea of what the barrel really looks like.
    In many 303's the barrel is rusted for a few inches in front of the chamber, due to cordite loaded ammo. If the rest of the rifling is still good, the rifle may still be useful as a bushveld shooter.

Yes, stock components are available. Blunderbuss in Alberton is a good place to start looking. But don't expect 'new' wood, it will also be well worn second-hand.

I'm not sure what you mean by the yardage adjuster being welded on? If anything is welded directly onto the barrel chances are that it is not straight any more. Look very carefully.
    If something is just welded onto the sight it's no problem, and will be easy to replace if needs be.

You are afraid it would not shoot ;-) If you can see the tip of the firing-pin on the bolt-face, and the action cocks on closing, it will go bang. Enfields were the AK's of yesteryear.

As WZ said, you can always buy one that you are sure of the condition. They go for R1800 to 2500 nowadays. Pristine one's for much more.
    But don't be fooled by a rough exterior on an old battle rifle.

Try to post a few photos please. If it is actually a similar rifle to the second picture, and it still have the mag cut-off, it will be a first for me. All the SA converted rifles I've seen had the cut-off removed.

User

Hi all,

Daan I was wondering if you had some in site on the rifle in the pictures below. Also could you suggest a good place to start as far as 303 brit info is concerned?

Thanks you in advance :)
    Last edited by nomad; 06-09-2013 at 13:34. Reason: no photos

User

Nomad, this is another SA arsenal rebuild. Same as the one on page one of this thread;
    BSA made Long Lee Mk I* fitted with an SMLE barrel and sights, fore-stock shortened, magazine cut-off and volley sights (side) removed, as well as the rear sling mount.
    The only strange thing I see is the SMLE barrel cover just behind the rear sight. The Long Lee's barrel cover was a bit shorter. The fore-stock is certainly the original Long Lee's. (I mean it is not an SMLE stock that was shortened) Someone might perhaps have just got hold of an SMLE cover and fitted it 'aftermarket' ;-)

User

Hi Daan,

Thank you very much for the info.

Groete

Nomad

User

Hi guys,I just bought a beautiful BSA .303 today,but only have the serial number with me now. I see from the photos on this thread that the date is printed on the side, but I did not notice it when i inspected the gun today, guess I will have to go back tomorrow to check again.
    It does not have the usual sights and I guess it was customized a but. I will attach pics now, just downloading them.

User

User

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast