Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default Re: Help identify B.S.A .303 rifle

I know its a BSA !

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Gee that's one way to run up your post count, looking to sell something?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Thank you CorditeCrazy.Had evaluators look at it.From what they say is that the barrel is in immaculate condition.I did not even know about the little oil can in the back of the stock.The reason i am asking is because they have asked asked some collector people to have a look at this gun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Just to summarise my long-winded reply: Your rifle is a Long Lee fitted with a new SMLE bolt, barrel and sights. Although it looks like a typical 'sporterised' 303, this complete conversion was done in the local military arsenals probably in the run-up to World War Two, to relieve the shortage of serviceable rifles. Don't hand it in for destruction please.

This is SO SO interesting, this is literally mind blowing for me. " this complete conversion was done in the local military arsenals".
    Never even heard of this before. Never!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    WZ, my first thought was exactly the same as yours. What caught my eye however was the BSA logo on the barrel, while the receiver ring was LSA Co. Ltd. All these converted rifles that I've seen so far has BSA made SMLE barrels, that's why I assume the UDF got hold of an consignment of BSA barrels. And all these barrels has got the "Z" stamped on the knox-form of the barrel. Wish I can find out what that was for. And neither has I had any confirmation what the "Diamond-inside-U" stamp means. I know the Kimberley Regiment had a diamond on their emblem, but some collectors say it is the Union "sold out of service" stamp. All but one of these rifles I've seen had that stamp on. DS, having a closer look, I see the bolt of your rifle still appears to have the dust cover on; so only the 'cocking-handle' on the rear of the original bolt was replaced, not the entire bolt. You will also see the slot on the left hand side of the loading gate where the magazine cut-off was removed when the rifle was re-fitted. In SA that was done to all the upgraded rifles. The Brits left this rather useless and potentially lethal IMHO device on the rifles they upgraded, and even manufactured new SMLE's with it into WWI, only left it out right at the end of the war in the SMLE Mk III*. Ps. for some reason all of a sudden I cannot make any line breaks in this post. Doing something wrong somewhere?
    All of mine - present, past and one into future have BSA barrels mostly 1950 something

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8