User

Default Your IDPA and IPSC setups

I'm very new to comp shooting and very much looking forward to it. I've been toying with the idea of getting more FA's soon ( how this came about I don't know, guess it was just a matter of time "needing" more guns... ) for different disciplines.

So, just as an idea of what you guys use/do I could more or less get an idea of where I should be heading and start thinking of how to motivate the fact that I need a shotgun, another pistol or 2, oh and a semi.....auto :D

Do you guys that shoot both IDPA and IPSC use the same FA's or do you guys use different FA's for both. eg G17 for IDPA and CZ for IPSC. Same goes for 3 gun. I know not all of us can't afford more than 1 semi auto but those lucky guys that do, do you use one for IDPA multigun and one for IPSC 3 Gun?

How about posting a pic or 2 of the setups you use and in what class/division you use them?

User

Default Re: Your IDPA and IPSC setups

I doubt there are many people that shoot both IDPA and IPSC. I know of a few but not many. The amount of ammo that you will go through would be staggering if shooting on a regular basis.

As a former IPSC shooter and current IDPA shooter I can say that the guns are more or less the same if discount Open class. I use my IPSC Production class gun for IDPA ESP. In terms of holsters, an IPSC speed rig will not go down well in IDPA.

For 3 gun they are the same. You can motivate SLRs and shotties of your choice for both. With this keep in mind that both have multiple handgun divisions where you can motivate multiple firearms.

IMO pick one and go have some fun. If you have the cash to do both please pm me and tell me what you did to get to that point

User

Hmmm, I see what you mean, eina costs on ammo.

Ok, let me rather ask this then. Is there benefit from shooting one or the other to gain DSS and motivate semi autos?

What I'm trying to ask is does IDPA shoot DMG comps more than IPSC 3 gun shoots?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeklong View Post
    Hmmm, I see what you mean, eina costs on ammo.

Ok, let me rather ask this then. Is there benefit from shooting one or the other to gain DSS and motivate semi autos?

What I'm trying to ask is does IDPA shoot DMG comps more than IPSC 3 gun shoots?
    The one is as good as the other for DSS status, although I know of two cases where SAPS declined semi-autos for IDPA because of the name.

IDPA - ..... Pistol Assoc.......
    IPSC - ..... Practical Shooting.....

SAPS argument was that its a Pistol Assoc/club and not a rifle or Shottie organisation. After the appeal both were approved.

Bottom line is: look at the rules, decide what you want to get out of it. Attend both and decide. Most active gunsiters here shoot IDPA, they will also help you for a demo.

Lastly, SADPA did have a demo on huntex which was great but I would recommend to attend a full league/match (IPSC and IDPA) to see and get a feel for the differences.