User

Default Perhaps this may interest/help you...

If this is the wrong place for this thread please go easy on me I'm new here.

I thought I could share some of my medical tips and tricks here and other people could share their's?

First off common campsite injuries normally include Burns from campfires or braai's

Alot of people swear by "Burn Shield" these are good BUT what most people dont know is they need to be changed every 2 hours or so... So it can become expensive, an alternative is buying a bottle of Aloe gel and applying it directly onto the burned area (if you have a person with 3rd degree burns its really serious as infection is a huge risk) cover this with gauze and a loose crepe bandage change it when the "soothing" feeling stops.
    If you dont have enough burn shield or aloe gel, gauze soaked in water will also work. Remember to first soak area in cool water or hold it under a tap if possible to stop initial burning process.

Another campsite oopsie is cutting yourself, basic cuts wont ruin a holiday but sometimes its a little more serious, when this occurs put pressure directly onto the laceration to stop bleeding until someone can dig out the FAK (first aid kit) then wash out the wound with fresh water, this does 2 things firstly it allows you to see the size of the wound and it washes out most germs and foreign bodies. While its being washed out get some gauze ready and apply direct pressure with a few sheets of gauze then firmly bandage up if bleeding persists. Keeping Steri-strips can also often save a trip to the A+E ward as most cuts can be effectively closed using very little skill with them.

Kids often tend to fall when running or playing and abrasions are common, 9 times out of 10 its not serious but if it is, wetting some gauze with water and placing it on the abrasion then bandaging it up can be a real winner on both kids and adults.

Alot of people say its good to carry an IV bag around to wash out eyes with, sometimes this can raise eyebrows and they are not always freely availabe what works just as well is those cheap bottles of contact lense solution, and alot of them come out with a squirt nozzle too.

Sprains and torn muscles really hurt, by following the acronym RICE you can effectively treat most of them,
    R- Rest
    I- Ice
    C- Compression dressing
    E- Elevate

Avoid HARM
    H-heat
    A-alcohol
    R- Running or physical activity
    M- Massaging or stretching

Just want to share some of my knowledge and experience, I'm by no means a Doctor but have had an aweful lot of experience with things most people cant imagine. I'll post more stuff soon!

Remember when in doubt call an ambulance.

User

Default Re: Perhaps this may interest/help you...

Thanks for the tips - I've learned something new.

For cuts and lacerations, should one apply something like Betadine, Bactroban, or Mercurochrome when first treating the wound, or should it just be covered with plain gauze as you suggest?

User

Default Re: Perhaps this may interest/help you...

My pleasure, Bactroban, Germalene (spelling) and Betadine are very good topical antiseptics, what I may suggest is if you are going to apply it first thoroughly irrigate (wash out) the wound with fresh clean water, basically if you wont drink it dont use it, then dab the area dry with gauze and then apply Ointment/cream to area and cover with bandage or plaster. I would say after 24hrs take off the dressing and have a look how its doing and if it has closed up then either leave it open or just put a new dry dressing on, keepinf a wound moist is not really ideal. Also if it requires sutures rather get it done by a proffesional I do not advocate suturing in the bush from experience infections are very common. I carry Tegaderms (they are a clear adhesive dressing that have endless uses, airtight and water resistant.) which I usually use to cover more serious lacerations.

Also you can get "jelonet" dressings which are like gauze except come individually prepacked and are covered in an antiseptic gel, great for those really nasty abrasions as it prevents the dressing from sticking to them.

Another little tip is avoid putting Deep heat/Repril Gel/Voltaren gel onto sprains or tears immediatly allow the swelling to reach it peak then apply a cream or gel that does not generate any heat as the heat will increase blood flow to area and thereby increase swelling and pain.

Heat application works best for those older injuries which have now become little "niggles"

Cheers, B.