Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How tactically orientated is your carry gun?

Glockster mentioned in another post that he had wraps his grip tape up with some gun, so I was wondering how tactical you make your carry gun. It that is sole purpose in life. Do you have grip tape on it, night sights, laser, or any other tactically orientated gizmo's. Just interested, my 22 is stock standard.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: How tactically orientated is your carry gun?

Craig, you obviously don't know Glockster, if he could he would have fur on his slide and a dancing dog on his rear sight hpy71. only joking. Stock standard for a Glock is about as tactical as you will ever require. My Glock is very basic and standard, Bernhard conversion in and bigger sights, mostly to do with my contact lenses and eye sight, prefer to carry with plus2 shoe, makes it little less concealable but solves the problem much easier if the magazine wants to hang, we say solve the problem before it happens. For other purposes we have to be carefull not to fall in the "look cool" category and not being able to shoot straight, like I have seen many a times. Firstly you must know how to fight with your gun, I am more concerned with my equipment like clothing holsters footwear etc. than to make my gun more tactical, your whole system should work and the gun is only a small part of it, I am not shooting down "tactical conversions" but if you can't shoot straight then nothing will most probably help you when the paw paw hits the fan, but it is more important for your gun to sit in the same place everytime, clothing that would not snag or bundle up etc etc. almost enough in there for a whole new atricle.

My Glock 17 is fitted with Glock Night Sights at the rear and Trijicon Night Sights at the front. Lighter (Glock) disconnecter and Extended Slide Release. The only other thing I like is I replaced the recoil spring assembly with a steel unit where the recoil spring guide is made of steel and not plastic. IMO this makes the gun shoot tighter. I can't say that I feel a difference in operation except in the sound of racking the slide but my feeling is that is does enhance accuracy a bit.

I have never used grip tape. Yes It does have certain advantages but these are in my mind not major and the disadvantages outway's the advantages for me.

User

Well since you asked:
    Griptape on rear of slide and side panels of grip, my hands get sweaty sometimes.
    Warren Tactical rear (plain black) with fibre optic front (red).
    Internally a $0.25 Glock trigger job that runs with a Ghost Rocket connector.

That hollow grip space is not there for nothing, inside it I carry: spare extractor, EDPwith spring & bearing, trigger return spring, spring cups, firing pin safety. All this taped neatly together and secured with a hollow plastic grip plug.

Why?? Cos I can. Besides you will always break a Glock part when "The Bernhard" is at some exotic location 68 0000km away, this I found from bitter experience. Twice.
    Two is one, one is none.

personally im from the Glock got it right the first time opinion...

I carry a Glock 27 stock standard, but for three additions, and all are Glock parts...

1) Extended Glock slide release
    2) Glock steel sights
    3) extended shoe (more for a better grip on the sub-compact the for the extra round).

And thats me :)

My Glock 19 however is a different story all-together.

1) Glock Night sights
    2) Extended Slide release
    3) M3 Tactical white light (wanting to upgrade this unit for a Surefire X300)

And wanting to buy some extended mags for the 19, perhaps a Glock 17 standard and an extended like a 31 rd mag, is there nothing in between a 17 round Glock 17 mag and the 31 rd????? the 31 RD is just tooooo long...

Im also thinking of adding a laser sight, and am yet to decide whether i should buy the laser max or the Crimson trace, as you may all of gathered this will be my house gun, kitted and ready for all kinds of bad situations.... fighting0035

Andy,

Arredondo from the US makes a mag extention what will give you +6. So if you take a Glock 19 mag that takes 15 you can then get 21 capacity. With a Glock 17 mag that takes 17 you can then get 23 capacity. They also make a +4 shoe. These work in 9mm and in .40 (1 less in .40)

User

My Glock 23 has very few mods. Trijicon night sights cos the stock Glock sights are only really slot fillers. I am not wild about the trijicons and will probably replace them with something less busy one of these days. 2kg connector and wolff mag and striker springs and a grip plug.My 17 is similar but also has a stipilled frame which is really nice.

OK maybe we should replace the word tactical to the word sport accesorized, I say this because the term tactical would indicate its use as a tactical aid in a contact situation, SWATTIE is right you should place far more emphasis on your clothing, holster, other gear and your mind set than on your pistol, sure things like night sights, flashlight and grip tape are no major issue but if you train your efficiency on using a set amount of add ons, eotech sights etc you are going to place yourself at a disadvantage in a fight if you for whatever reason have to use a weapon without all these add ons and that is not tactically wise! The weapon is just a tool and it is how you train yourself to use it not what you put on it that is going to make you a good tactical proponent, if you have to put too many accessories on to it its not a great tactical tool.

so the point is it comes out of the box as tactical as it needs to be, what you put on afterwards are mainly sporting add ons not tactical add ons, your gear that you wear support your tactics

Of course teams and personnel who are actively in the field of hostage release and operations requiring these add ons on a frequent basis these add ons become a more tactical add on as they are actively using the items and their logistical chain is designed to replace all the items as quickly as possible or should they need to pick up a buddies weapon and fight on chances are the buddy will have that one on as well. For guys like you and me who would not need to perform such functions daily I would call it sporting accessories
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Night sights are essential on a fighting handgun. They are, without doubt, not sporting accessories as they do nothing to assist in this regard.

While I agree with abhm with regard to standardisation in a team a civilian is extremely unlikely to do a battlefield pick up and thus be disadvantaged by not having night sights or other tactical accessories.

In point of fact some of the Glocks come shipped with rubbish adjustable sights. These are on the guns for US import points and were always intended to be ripped off as soon as possible and replaced.

Replacing a standard glock striker spring with a Wollf extra power or Glock red spring is also essential for reliability purposes.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I agree with SSP in this regard. As a civilian it is very unlikely that I will use any handgun but the one on my side in a shooting. I accept that the possibility exists but it is very unlikely. Therefore mods that make the gun more usable for of make sense. I also think that the use of a handgun by a civilian or Leo is different to that of those in the military etc. My pistol is my primary weapon not a back up a pistol is by its very nature an inferior system to a long gun so mods that enable of to use it more effectively make sense.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast