Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Decent good quality back-pack???

I must say the best I have seen is GoRuck. Just a damn pity you don't get them here in SA. I'm sure you would be able to import one. Have a look on youtube for some of there packs they make. I am highly impressed. Just wish I had one.

User

The Condor bags that http://gicombatsupplies.co.za/ sell ain't too bad either. I have the 3 Day Assault pack, but you might want to take a look at the smaller compact assault bag - http://www.gicombatsupplies.co.za/co...ck-p-1744.html

I wouldn't say Condor is made to the same standard as, say, Camelbak, but for the money it offers fair value. My 3-day pack has served me well for almost two years on trips all over the world. I even hiked to Macchu Picchu in Peru with it end of last year, although I mostly use it as carry-on luggage when going to Gangster's Paradise.

I prefer OD (or Coyote and Foliage Green) instead of Multicam and the like, because I also travel to SADC countries a lot and when mr. Policeman in Zimbabwe sees my bag it just "green" as opposed to "military" from behind his mirrored sunglasses.

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    Sorry if it seems like a hijack of thread jsut wanted ask any ideas on a cheap temporary one? Will get a more xpensive one when got nicer cash flow :D.
    Check out African Hunting Supplies they stock a range called Ridgeline, nice bags and good concepts. K-way is also reasonable but they are of good quality and durable. Also depends on what your intended use is, as the longer you plan to "live" out your bag the bigger thus more costly it gets! Take a look at GI-Combat they also have some unique bags available.
    Hope that helps

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I have just got myself the Camelbak BFM for a 2 to 3 day pack as well as Sas. So far I have put the basics in it and there is still plenty of space, it sits comforably on my hips and has a rigid frame so it doesnt crumple when loaded. I'll run it for a bit and let you know how it feels. but so far I'm chuffed.

User

Thanks, had a look at Osprey bags recently they also seem pretty good. MMMM.... So many choices

I would just get a pattern 70/73 Grootsak, the old SADF backpack / knapsack. Best quality and plenty space, and its going to cost you R150 and last you ten times as long as a R2000 camelback or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by harryhcs View Post
    I would just get a pattern 70/73 Grootsak, the old SADF backpack / knapsack. Best quality and plenty space, and its going to cost you R150 and last you ten times as long as a R2000 camelback or something like that
    Dude, Seriously?

Ive just been to Army surplus in PTA. They have piles of the Grootsak lying there, frames rusting, canvas rotting. They wanted R200 for a frikken few parts from an R4 cleaning kit, so i dont believe that price of R150. Secondly, when they were new they were ok, but what available is crap. Maybe you can get lucky and scrounge through the piles there and get something in good nick, but to say that it is a better bet than, well, most commercially available packs is just plain ignorance.

You obviously dont know much about Camelbak, and the guarantees they have and the quality of the product. Have you wondered why it is that our special forces (and those of many around the world) use Camelbak?

If you want a full Bergen type pack and you want the best money can buy, look at the Ducks Gutz. The Australian SAS Bergen which is Enormous. Expandable from 80l to 120l, and it is covered in Molle to make it even bigger. Comes with removable water proof liner sack, has quick release tabs, place for Hydration, is rated for parachute jumping, and has many many features. It even has a spot for your rifle to be mounted when parachuting.

User

The term "Bergen" is wrongly used in most cases, especially by British or commonwealth people.

A Bergen refers to (or used to refer to) a Norwegian outdoorsman style of canvas/leather rucksack with an external (steel) frame. In WWII some British commandos started using them and soon "a Bergen" was used to refer to any large, framed pack (as opposed to the crap canvas webbing that regular troops used).

It would be more accurate to refer to a "pack" or "rucksack".

The Ducks Gutz has an internal aluminium frame

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast