Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Decent good quality back-pack???

I've been using karriomr for 2 years, it's my personal fave. It just feels more comfortable than other ones I used to have

User

I would love to have a Camelbak, but R2500.00 for a back pack is a bit steep.

I'm currently looking at Source tactical. its an Israeli based company, and it supplies its products to both the American and Israeli military's.
    It looks great.
    Can buy one online for a steal, but after duties etc. the price starts to reach the same level as MSE Equipment.

I will hopefully be heading there tomorrow to have a look.

Does anyone have experience with this product??

User

I own a Source hydration bladder.

Their quality is A1. Very good kit with actual thought going into design.

I saw the special on the website myself...

User

getting myself the kelty66 in june. friend is coming back from the USA with it, for me. and obviously not empty :P
    entire camping/hiking gear upgrade.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeOfWar View Post

I'm currently looking at Source tactical. its an Israeli based company, and it supplies its products to both the American and Israeli military's.
    It looks great.
    Can buy one online for a steal, but after duties etc. the price starts to reach the same level as MSE Equipment.

I have the Source 33l Patrol pack...depends what you want to use it for, how you are built and what you're used to.

I'm 180cms tall and I find the back panel setup too short for me (if you set the load lifter straps & waist belt correctly). It is good quality & their bladders are THE BOMB - Best I've had (I've tried Platypus & 2x camelbaks before...all died from mould & dis-colouration)...but the Source bite valve takes some getting used to.

I use it as an edc pack...laptop, files etc & it's okay for that. I've climbed Sentinal with it...had enough space, but my back was killing me by the time we returned to the carpark.
    The frame is made of a single, flat, alu piece...not enough to keep the backpanel comfy or 'shapely' enough imho.

If you want a hiking bag, buy one fit for the purpose...same for office/edc (the Thule laptop bags are very nice)...but for a niche, grab & go bag I guess it's fine. For the price & included bladder it's worth it. (My previous edc was a Rush 24 - 5.11 quality is better by far).

Trizip camelbak FTW!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maml View Post
    I have the Source 33l Patrol pack...depends what you want to use it for, how you are built and what you're used to.

I'm 180cms tall and I find the back panel setup too short for me (if you set the load lifter straps & waist belt correctly). It is good quality & their bladders are THE BOMB - Best I've had (I've tried Platypus & 2x camelbaks before...all died from mould & dis-colouration)...but the Source bite valve takes some getting used to.

I use it as an edc pack...laptop, files etc & it's okay for that. I've climbed Sentinal with it...had enough space, but my back was killing me by the time we returned to the carpark.
    The frame is made of a single, flat, alu piece...not enough to keep the backpanel comfy or 'shapely' enough imho.

If you want a hiking bag, buy one fit for the purpose...same for office/edc (the Thule laptop bags are very nice)...but for a niche, grab & go bag I guess it's fine. For the price & included bladder it's worth it. (My previous edc was a Rush 24 - 5.11 quality is better by far).

Trizip camelbak FTW!

I would do despicable things for a Tri-zip!!

This will be my grab and go bag, and I also intend using it in S-a-s.

I will see if I have the same back panel problem when I test the bag tomorrow, probably will, since I'm about the same length.

Thanks a lot for the info!

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeOfWar View Post

It looks great.

3 years.

A few dozen motorcycle enduros during which I had several offs, one into a thorn bush at 80kms/h. A few hikes. Took it caving once or twice. Been through everything you can imagine, including sun, mud, rain, wind, sand and snow.

I've also EDCed this backpack 95% of the time since 2011. I literally carry it around with me everywhere I go.

Repairs:
    1. Replaced waist belt buckles after slamming them in the bakkie's door.
    2. Replaced rubber nozzle on bladder last year.

One of the best pieces of kit I own.

Everyday I like it
    more...
    and more ...
    and more...
    and some more.

I just can't kill it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by francois.viljoen View Post

3 years.

A few dozen motorcycle enduros during which I had several offs, one into a thorn bush at 80kms/h. A few hikes. Took it caving once or twice. Been through everything you can imagine, including sun, mud, rain, wind, sand and snow.

I've also EDCed this backpack 95% of the time since 2011. I literally carry it around with me everywhere I go.

Repairs:
    1. Replaced waist belt buckles after slamming them in the bakkie's door.
    2. Replaced rubber nozzle on bladder last year.

One of the best pieces of kit I own.

Everyday I like it
    more...
    and more ...
    and more...
    and some more.

I just can't kill it.

Sigh.... I guess I'll have to buy and cry once!! Thanks for the great post!

User

I use the Flextrek Whipsnake:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5