Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Another G19 holster thread - Kydex vs Leather

I will probably get grilled for what I am going to say, but here goes. I am looking for a top notch concealable holster for my Glock 19 - expecting the license soon. I am no a holster expert, my experience is of carrying my NAA .22 Mag iwb in a little leather holster and ankle carry. Reading through the multitude of holster threads, 2 options came up over and over. Comp Tac Mtac and Geoff Carters' Multi Carry. I was at Tac Shac yesterday, looking at some of the samples of these two holsters. Mtac looks ok, but clips seemed a bit flimsy and overall I was a bit underwhelmed. Also seems more bulky than I expected. The Carter holsters seemed nicely finished, except 1 digi camo holster for a 1911 that had the camo pattern damaged by the moulding process and some bad tooling marks on the inside. So typical of a handmade product, quality seems variable. Say what you like, but neither of these holsters appeal to me. I also get the felling that the hard plastic will be harsh on my gun. Yes yes, I know the gun is a tool, but I need to feel good about the setup. My gutfeel just tells me that leather will be kinder to the gun and more comfortable on the body. What am I missing here? Why do so many guys prefer Kydex over leather? Are top notch tuckable leather holsters available? And from whom and what would I pay?

User

Default Re: Another G19 holster thread - Kydex vs Leather

Kaspaas, I have carried my G17 in the Ghost International IWB for six months. There is not a mark on the Glock from that holster and I find it very comfortable. It takes a while (one or two weeks) to get used to it, but after that you are irritated if you don't have it on. It's leather and metal ... I thought it would scratch the finish, but my Kydex OWB is much harder on the finish. Probably because a practise dry-fire with the OWB.

User

I have 3 cydex type material holsters one nylon and one leather ankle holster.. The leather makes more wear marks than the cydex

User

Quote Originally Posted by STREETRACER View Post
    I have 3 cydex type material holsters one nylon and one leather ankle holster.. The leather makes more wear marks than the cydex
    Interesting. I think the wear mechanism when carrying a gun is the dirt that gets between the gun and holster.

User

I have tried a full leather holster,Geoff's regular iwb holster(not the multicarry),and the Mtac. In terms of comfort,the Mtac wins hands down. I had zero issues with the clips. After wearing it for a few weeks it seems to form to your body,and you can wear it all day with no comfort issues. I do use Geoffs OWB. The full kydex has a very positive feel when re holstering. While the Mtac doesn't have that same positive "feel", to me its not a major issue as I reholster slowly regardless of which holster I'm using. I think its not possible to judge a holster just by visual inspection,you have to try it on for a while.

User

I have carried a Star BM in a kydex (Geoff Caarter iwb) as well as leather (Lindsay Ross iwb). While the firearm is not the same, I pass on my observations for your consideration:

The kydex holster sits higher on the belt and holstering and draw are very much faster. The holster is not tuckable (tuckable options are available) and I tend to wear it in the 3 o clock position. It took a week to get used to the kydex which does not really buffer the firearm like leather. The kydex has added some holster wear (character) to the gun.

The leather iwb holster sits much lower and draw requires a bit more effort. Reholstering is not fast and with the single action bm I often place my finger between the hammer and slide when holstering. The holster is a little more comfortable than the kydex one I have and has as yet not added any marks to the gun.

Fwiw, I have no clear favorite between the two eapecially since the star is not my primary edc handgun. I do however find myself using the kydex holter more often.

Good luck with your choice.

User

Either way, make sure the you can re-holster with one hand...without digging the muzzle towards yourself to lever the holster open.
    From experience with the Mtac, Geoff's multicarry & Raven concealment systems tuckable holsters...I find Mtac the best compromise of comfort, conceal-ability & safe/fast draw/re-holster. Also G19. 2 years now.

User

I also have a Geoff carter iwb and an mtac for my g19. I neglected to order 1.25" c-clips for the Geoff carter iwb, resulting in an overly loose holster. I was a bit cleverer with mtac, buying 1.25" regular and c-clips. I prefer the mtac overall (not just because of the clips) because it has better comfort and concealability. Seek out bigt on this forum though, he has a "boutique" leather holster maker in the states.

User

Any local maker of leather holsters that is worthwhile? I see Linday Ross pops up from time to time, but is tuckable leather available?

User

Yes, as noted above, Lindasy makes two or three (if memory serves) tuckable holsters. Visit his website and look at the "concealment" holsters section. He uses a thin leather and iirc offers lined and unlined options.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast