Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Complete pistol cleaning

Good morning people,

I want to clean out my pistol properly some time. Usually I just, after a shoot, field strip it and clean it with a gun brush, cloths and RAM's Tristol. I use the little tube you stick on the nozzle, wrap the gun in a microfiber cloth (lint-free for a reason) and spray the shit out of hard-to-reach places. Cleans the gun well, and lubes where needed at the same time. However, I'm wanting to PROPERLY clean out the pistol some time. It's a CZ85, so all-steel. I don't want to disassemble the trigger or mag release assembly because they're apparently a bitch to get back, so I'll just field strip and remove the grips and do the cleaning from there. What I want to know further is this - can I dump the gun in petrol and have at it with an old toothbrush? What would be best to treat it with when it comes out? Ultrasonic for a few minutes and then attack it with a hair dryer? Spray Tristol in again, or is there a better lube than Tristol (preferably in spray) form to get into all the little nooks and crannies?

I want to point out the pistol isn't grimy and sludgy. It's clean and operates smoothly without hiccups. I just want to get it REALLY clean, in all the deep places, and replace all the gunk with a DECENT lubricant. It's seen Tristol and RAM's Gun Oil as well as what I believe to be a silicon based lube that I want to get out badly. I want decent stuff in there and decent stuff only.

Any ideas? Lyman makes a Gun Parts solvent for the ultrasonic, rather use that than petrol? I don't know. Petrol is cheap...ish. For cleaning, now.

Default Re: Complete pistol cleaning

I regularly put my .38 Special into the Layman Sonic cleaner with 5 parts water, 1 part vinegar and a tsp of dishwashing liquid. Just make sure to properly rinse off everything afterwards and lubricate.

User

so its perfectly safe to sonic clean a pistol etc?

User

I used to spray "my" R4 with Preen and jump into a very hot shower with it. That got all the gunk out. As Boesman says, be sure you get to all the spots with the oil afterwards, otherwise it's going to rust.

User

Strip it and put it in your Sonic cleaner

I clean my GLOCK's , m&p vtac, rifle bolts bolts all in the sonic cleaner. I found the lyman gun cleaning solution works best. However, NEVER let the steel touch the bottom of the cleaner.

make sure you get any "chunks" etc when done! I blow all parts dry with compressed air, then stick them under a bar heater for 10-15 minutes to be sure. Then make sure your LUBE! Eezox works the best IMO

User

To get the water out, would it be safe to dump the pistol in a tub of petrol? It'll displace everything, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Of course it'll be safe. What am I thinking? :/

Question is if it'll work lekker?

User

Petrol has got so many additives dissolved in it, that'll stick to the metal when the volatiles evaporate. I'd keep it away from my guns.

:- P
    Last edited by Pirate; 24-04-2013 at 10:20. Reason: spelling, wording grammar....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    so its perfectly safe to sonic clean a pistol etc?
    Jip. There is however complaints on the Glocks that in rare circumstances the USonic vibrates the "Firing pin spacer sleeve" loose. Part 6 below.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAA&dur=656

I clean my Glock in the USonic with zero complaints this far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast