Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mauser or Lee Enfield?

I'm trust this is the right sub-forum for this topic. If not, could a mod please move it.

After using a friend's rifle[s] for shooting this past few years I decided it's time to get my own.
    I'm enthusiastic about classic rifles but not having needed to do my own reloading, maintenance and so-forth my experience is limited, and some advice is always helpful.

The choices that I've come down to are the following, in this order:
    M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55
    Lee Enfield (it doesn't really matter which, but preferably SMLE No1MK3)
    K98 Mauser 8x57
    Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R

Obviously the Lee Enfield is the easiest to come by, followed by the 8x57 and the Mosin. I would love to get hold of a Swedish Mauser though.
    I'm just under 6 foot but I'm rather lightweight so my friend's 8x57 does pack quite a punch for me, which is why the 6.5x55 would be ideal actually.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be the best idea, when it comes down to finding brass and bullets (I can already reload the 303 and 8x57 but would only need to get dies, etc for the Mosin and the Swede), actually finding any one of the above [except for the LE, I see them all over), shooting them and whatever criteria would usually be followed when choosing between different rifles.
    Budget-wise it looks like my limit of R3000 seems to be enough.

Thanks guys.

Banned

Default Re: Mauser or Lee Enfield?

Frizzle, what is your purpose with the rifle?

If you wish to shoot classic firearms, then it does not really matter. You would only be limited by your budget and availability of loading components. Mausers tend to be more expensive than Lee-Enfields and Mosins, therefore the latter would be a more probable choice. The Mosin is ballistically almost identical to the .308 Win.

If you wish to hunt, I would stick to the weapon with the best available reloading components since all your mentioned choices are suitable for general hunting purposes. However, the 6.5x55 is a lovely rifle to shoot (so I've been told!!) and might make an excellent hunting rifle.

User

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned.
    I am aiming to take part in some sport shooting competitions (more amateur than anything else), and take part in the occasional hunt (plain game such as BWB, Kudu, etc).
    I'm not planning on adding a scope, though.

User

I was shopping for a classic a few months back. There are Yugoslavian Mausers (8x57) available from less than R3000 - some of which have never been fired. There are Israeli Mausers (7.62x51) which are World War 2 Mausers which were converted after the war. They go for similar prices. The German K98s are scarce - and the one I really wanted was R7500 but was sold just before I saw it. The .303 British Lee Enfields start from less than R2000. I finally settled on a .303 P14 because it can shoot in the .303 Bisley Class and I liked the idea of shooting in a class specifically tailored for rifles of the same caliber and style. I paid R3500 and its set up as a service target rifle with the peep sights etc.

Good luck - its always fun shopping for a rifle.

Banned

Frizzle, the 6.5x55 and the Mosin have better trajectories than the 303 ,and marginally better than the 8x57. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Furthermore, 6.5x55 is known as a flat shooter and has a great reloading range; if I'm correct it takes bullets from 90gr up to 170gr.

User

I am aware of the 6.5x55's strength in it's flat trajectory and the distances that it's good at - I've seen it do great groupings at 700m and beyond.
    I was told though that the military Swede would be best suited for a slightly heavier bullet (120gr+) because of the rifling.

All I'm concerned about, is that since 6.5mm's aren't all that popular in SA, that I might run short of brass one day.

User

....the way anything related to 303 brass/ammo is priced,you be forgiven if you thought that there were only 3 rifles out there and/or "not all that popular" in SA.

All the gunshop folks around here claim that there "is no logical reason" for this to be the case but there you go.

Having said that,my fetish for these old girls(that you've listed)will let me end up with at least a sample of each hopefully.
    Last edited by curious george; 27-04-2013 at 09:21.

User

Frizzle just be aware that there are 2 variants of the 8x57; 8x57J uses a .318 bullet and the 8x57JS uses a .323 bullet. So maybe research the the availability of reloading components, dies etc for each variant so you know what is possible with either option.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kurly View Post
    Frizzle just be aware that there are 2 variants of the 8x57; 8x57J uses a .318 bullet and the 8x57JS uses a .323 bullet. So maybe research the the availability of reloading components, dies etc for each variant so you know what is possible with either option.
    Yes I know. My friend has the 8x57IS (It's I not J) and has warned be about that.

The only rifles I haven't shot, of those I'm looking at, are the 6.5x55 and the Mosin. I have access to reloading for the Lee Enfield and the 8x57IS Mauser.

User

Frizzle, have you considered the Mauser in the original 7x57 cal?

I personally like the SMLE more than the both the 8x57 and the 6.5x55, but I prefer the 7x57 Mauser before the SMLE in .303Brit
    This is purely psonal as I think components for the 7x57 is a lot easier to source that components for the other callibers. 303Brit is also readily available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast