Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Secrets of the ultimate braaibroodjie

I was standing next to the braai tonight, staring deep into my drink and pondering the great questions of life.

One that came to mind was, what secrets do the universe hide to make/braai the ultimate braaibroodjie.

Now for our international guests, a braai is a Barbecue in Afrikaans. But it is much, much more. It is a place where men congregate and solve the problems of the world and some of the problems with women...but never all of those, there's just to damn many!

And quite often a braai is accompanied by your favourite beverage. If you had a long day at the range a beer works well, a hard day at the office requires a brandy or whiskey or if you are a bit strange...rum! Some okes prefer some ox blood (what us Afrikaners call red wine...mostly of poorer quality) or a decent Cape bouquet (proper red wine). Men don't drink white wine and questions are asked of your manliness if you rock up at a braai with white wine...and it will cost you a man card.

But I'm getting lost in memories of great evenings around the braai.

So a braaibroodjie...it is basically a sandwich with tomato, onion and cheese which is then grilled on the coals.

Now to the secrets...What is yours?

Mine is a bit of salt, pepper and a tiny bit of chutney or apricot jam (the sweetness turns that broodjie into magic). I prefer slow coals to ensure that the tomato and onions are cooked and the cheese melts a bit.

And naturally I only braai on wood (sekelbos mostly).

So let's have it...universal secrets of the braaibroodjie

User

Default Re: Secrets of the ultimate braaibroodjie

Butter must be on the inside otherwise outside doesn't crisp up.

They onion and tomato must not be too thick otherwise it doesn't cook.

Cheddar works best.

I also like some chutney on mine.

Must be eaten off fire otherwise it goes soft.

Like you say, slow coals. A "toeknip" rooster works best, at every turn just open it up to make sure sarmies don't squash. Oh and don't clip it in when you close it, just let the top part rest on the bread.

Oh, and moaning about woman. I found myself in a bridal store today. I am 100% convinced all the KAK mens get is planned, designed and manefactured in the backrooms of bridalstores. Felt like fresh meat walking in there!!

User

I do mine the same, I just put some Ina Paarman's Garlic pepper and chilli pepper on as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    Oh, and moaning about woman. I found myself in a bridal store today. I am 100% convinced all the KAK mens get is planned, designed and manefactured in the backrooms of bridalstores. Felt like fresh meat walking in there!!
    Like a lamb led to the slaughter ........

User

Damn....Now i'm Hungry :-(

User

Turn often to prevent burning. Golden on the outside is perfect - brown to black not good.

My uncle, who is a Soutie that married into a very Afrikaans family, has a special name for braaibroodjies...

Kaktrappertjies he calls them because, he says, the wife always brings them after the meat is done, when the libation has kicked in properly and the focus is gone, and then you burn one side (or both) and you step in the shit!

He couldn't braai.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Butter on the outside, it does crisp up when done real slow. Stop the bread from drying out.

Turn lots, never let the bread get too hot, this way you can get the filling to cook. Toeknip rooster the best.

Must be over wood coals not charcoal.

I have chopped chillie relish on the side (grandbuddies dont take to chillie yet) so I can add to my hearts content.

From fire to face, no intermediate steps other than to dunk into some chillie.

User

I've moved away from the tomato and stepped it up a notch. cheese and mushroom braai broodjie.

the mushrooms does something awesome to a braai broodjie. If you feel likebeing grand. add a slive og salami.

I dont know if what I'm doing to the braai broodjie is against braai law, but it sure is nice

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Like a lamb led to the slaughter ........
    Luckily I'm still 2 steps ahead! Not my wedding. They actually have some very good tailors and I need my suit tailored. But I could hear those ladies grinding those ball and chains!

A braaibroodjie needs love and attention, don't rush it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JouDoring View Post
    I dont know if what I'm doing to the braai broodjie is against braai law, but it sure is nice
    Jislaaik I don't know hey... mushrooms on a braaibroodjie... sounds like some UCT Commie vegan shit.

PS: I can 't wait to try it myself - sounds delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast