Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hunting Rifles for sale...

Good evening,

I recently went on my first hunting trip, and I must be honest, the bug has bitten me.

I would like to know which rifle I should be considering buying and also which calibre.

I would also like to know if there is someone that has a hunting rifle for sale for a reasonable price. Any make would do, as long as it is reliable and that it will give me good service.

Regards,
    Juan

Default Re: Hunting Rifles for sale...

Dear Juan

If you go through all the posts you will notice that this topis has been cliched, but for you to save some time heres a short answer. Ask yourself how many rifles you would eventually own. Where will you hunt. What will you shoot. Excl big five and other dangerous game theres 4 scenarios:

Small - medium game over long distances eg eastern cape, karoo, western free state etc like springbuck and blesbuck: .243, .25-06, .270, 7x64, .30-06

Medium to large antelope over long distance like kalahari, molopo etc like black wildebeest, gemsbuck, kudu, eland, rooihartebeest: .270, 7x64, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, .300Win Mag, .375H&H (load dependant)

Small - medium antelope in bushveld or walk and stalk condition (and mountain areas) like thabazimbi, alldays, tosta etc like impala, warthog, blue wildebeest kudu ewe: 7x64, .30-06, 7x57, .308, .338 Fed

Med - large antelope in bushveld like kudu blue wildebeest, eland etc: .375H&H, 9.3x62

All round consider: .30-06, 7x64, 375H&H

If very much dependant on factory ammo and therfore variety: .30-06 Springfield is the rifle for you. Weatherby Vanguard +/- R8800 (M&H Arms~Klerksdorp,NW), Nikon Buckmaster Scope 3-9x40 R2500 (Safari and Outdoor~Stellenbosch,WC), Plano Hard Case R350 (Safari and Outdoor), Federal range of factory ammo.

User

You can add a 270 Win to that all rounder if you use 150gr bullets it realy does well in the bush and longrange. Recoil is not bad, accuracy is excellent and its cost effective to maintain.

Juan,

30 06 Springfield
    180gr for Bushveld hunting
    150 gr for openveld hunting

Leupold 3-9X 40 Scope

Quote Originally Posted by JHH
    Juan,

30 06 Springfield
    180gr for Bushveld hunting
    150 gr for openveld hunting

Leupold 3-9X 40 Scope

Could not agree more. Precisely what I was taught my my old man, who used his 30-06 to shoot pretty much everything on bufdvz's list, including kudu, eland & wildebeest. 30-06 is, in fact, ideal for Kudu in the bushveld.

I would rate the .338win Mag if you have acces to reloaded amunition.

Juan

I'm selling my CZ Brno 7x64 with about 120 round of ammo and reloading dies. + a few other bit and bobs.
    R7500 all in....not neg.

PM me or e-mail me andrewk@kinvest.com

User

It is amazing how we all like and swear by our own rifles. I never bougt my rifle - I inherited it and had no choice in the caliber BUT I would noy change it because it works. I shoot a 243 and 270 and believe me, a 270 knocks over an Eland just as well as a 30-06 - all the doomsayers say it is too light - I say K@K - use it responsibly, place your shot well and pass on the questionable shots (which is what we all should do anyway! Do not get me started on long raking body shots with premium bullets followed by complaints that the bullet did travel a full meter from the Kudu's poepal to it's head!!!) If I could choose from scratch I would choose a 7x64 but right now my 270 and 243 have not yet let me down and this includes Kudu and Blue Wildebliksems!

User

Bottom line is whatever calibre you get, learn to use it properly. Lots of range time familiarising yourself with the weapon. And I dont mean shooting from a bench (that you do when working up loads), shoot sitting down , prone, over a log/anthill, using shooting sticks and standing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST
    Bottom line is whatever calibre you get, learn to use it properly. Lots of range time familiarising yourself with the weapon. And I dont mean shooting from a bench (that you do when working up loads), shoot sitting down , prone, over a log/anthill, using shooting sticks and standing.
    +1
    Sometimes the caliber is not the problem but the person behind it. whp I use a 7x57 and to me it is avery good caliber. ;) grn1
    Like THOMAST says: learn to use it properly happy0065

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast