Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Installing a Hella plug in my vehicle.

Thank you to all for the informative replies, much appreciated.

It seems as if a dual battery system is the way to go in the long run but I can buy plenty ammo for the price of a dual battery system and I do not think that the dual battery system is that essential to me at this moment in time. Maybe one day when I explore deep Africa.

The National Luna is fitted with a battery protection system which allows you to select the voltage to which the fridge is allowed to drain your vehicle's battery to. When this specified Voltage is met, the compressor shuts down until the battery is recharged again. So there is no risk of discharging my vehicle's battery to a point where the vehicle will not start or the battery gets damaged.

I think for now, until I fit a dual battery system in the future, I will just use the fridge with 220V where I can and 12V only when I am driving or when the vehicle's engine is running. And as Wanderin' Zero mentioned, when I stay over where I do not have a 220V supply I will just rely on the insulation of the fridge to keep my food frozen until the next day when I will be driving again.

Default Re: Installing a Hella plug in my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by DouwtA View Post
    Thank you to all for the informative replies, much appreciated.

It seems as if a dual battery system is the way to go in the long run but I can buy plenty ammo for the price of a dual battery system and I do not think that the dual battery system is that essential to me at this moment in time. Maybe one day when I explore deep Africa.

The National Luna is fitted with a battery protection system which allows you to select the voltage to which the fridge is allowed to drain your vehicle's battery to. When this specified Voltage is met, the compressor shuts down until the battery is recharged again. So there is no risk of discharging my vehicle's battery to a point where the vehicle will not start or the battery gets damaged.

I think for now, until I fit a dual battery system in the future, I will just use the fridge with 220V where I can and 12V only when I am driving or when the vehicle's engine is running. And as Wanderin' Zero mentioned, when I stay over where I do not have a 220V supply I will just rely on the insulation of the fridge to keep my food frozen until the next day when I will be driving again.
    Very nice! Especially with the inbuilt voltage sensor! You're good to go. Just remember that inline fuse - its a critical piece of kit.

User

We did a 10 day trip in Oct/Nov to Zim (Gonarezhou, Vumba, Nyanga park) and Moz (Gorongosa, Inhassoro) without a fridge.

We used two very good coolboxes though. If you use discipline and common sense wrt to opening and closing of coolboxes ice can last very long.

I have to add that we were able to buy ice along the way three times. But unless you're static for a week in the Central Kalahari you'll find ice. Generally, where there's fuel there's ice.

Fridges are lekker, but they are not the alpha and omega. Certain people (sloths, dawdlers, etc) and children should be kept away from coolboxes if you value your ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2