User

Default Baby killed by police bullet

From News24:

Johannesburg - A 1-year-old baby was accidentally killed and its mother injured after being hit by a ricocheted bullet allegedly fired by police, Gauteng police said on Monday.
    Police were attempting to stop a crowd assaulting two men accused of theft in Mooiplaas, south of Pretoria, on Sunday when an officer fired a warning shot, said Colonel Katlego Mogale.
    The warning shot then ricocheted, hitting the baby and mother.
    The mother was taken to hospital for treatment, along with two police officers injured while stopping the crowd from assaulting the two men.
    "The case is now with the Ipid (Independent Police Investigation Directorate)," said Mogale.

User

Default Re: Baby killed by police bullet

I guess the knee-jerk reaction is to comment on the wisdom of warning shots, but I'm curious - in a situation like this, how do you get a mob to stop their attack without having to shoot one of them?

User

If they don't listen to the police, shoot all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If they don't listen to the police, shoot all of them.
    Awesome. Just like in Germany in the '30s.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Awesome. Just like in Germany in the '30s.
    ROFL!

And regarding warning shots: under stress, can you absolutely guarantee that the bullet will stop somewhere safe? I'd rather aim for a specific target personally.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I guess the knee-jerk reaction is to comment on the wisdom of warning shots, but I'm curious - in a situation like this, how do you get a mob to stop their attack without having to shoot one of them?
    I have been pondering this for a while now myself. The best answer I could come up with is proper training and proper equipment. It is very easy to sit behind the screen and correct other people's mistakes when we were not there ourselves to actually witness what really went down. Mobs are nasty to deal with in general.

User

I saw one brightspark in the comments on Idiot24 that said warning shots should be fired into the air so they don't hit anyone. I'm guessing he didn't do well in physics at school. I wanted to correct him but News24 wanted access to stuff on my Facebook profile that has sweetbuggerall to do with them so I left it at that.

While we would wish, in a perfect world, for our cops to have all the training, skills and gear they would need to take on such mobs, that simply does not happen very often. The fact that the law itself does not proscribe use of warning shots is also a huge issue, since it leaves cops and / or citizens hanging in the breeze if something 'bad' happens such as this incident. OTOH, what 'should' these officers do or have done? Should they just say 'stuff it' and walk away? Tackle several hundred demonstrators with just a few cops? Wait until they have plenty of back up before taking them on? You get the idea...unfortunately they often don't have those options, and they are tasked with doing something RTF Now. It really is a shid-sandwitch...
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    While we would wish, in a perfect world, for our cops to have all the training, skills and gear they would need to take on such mobs, that simply does not happen very often. The fact that the law itself does not proscribe use of warning shots is also a huge issue, since it leaves cops and / or citizens hanging in the breeze if something 'bad' happens such as this incident. OTOH, what 'should' these officers do or have done? Should they just say 'stuff it' and walk away? Tackle several hundred demonstrators with just a few cops? Wait until they have plenty of back up before taking them on? You get the idea...unfortunately they often don't have those options, and they are tasked with doing something RTF Now. It really is a shid-sandwitch...
    This.

Also wondering whether mom and baby were in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if she voided her voice of reason and took a small baby to a mob justice?