Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Importing guns wholesale. How it works?

Cool no worries, I understand. Thank you

Thanks to all the dealers that are actually prepared to go through all this trouble.

It seems that even if you are lucky enough to get all the paperwork right,the guns that land may well have a different different serial number to the paperwork and get impounded.Additionally and en route they may go through a country for which there is no permit and guess what happens then.Given all the trouble I am surprised that anyone bothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Well done Nicyale.

My reply would have been short and bitter (there is no place for "sweet" here): tenacity, frustration, paperwork, e-mails, phone calls and the utmost of self control not to crack up or fly off the handle several times during the process of importing one shipment.

Your review is much better and much more entertaining It even makes me relax a bit about my frustration with my current import from Germany which has just completed week 9 of waiting for the export permit which has not yet been approved by the way.
    You could be almost there. My last one from Germany took 4 months and it was only an in-transit permit for ammo from Lapua.
    There was the time I ordered Italian ammo and the Italian authorities changed their permit application process. It turned out nobody knew which dept was responsible for issuing them. Took a year and a half to get that one. The nice part was that supplier kept original pricing so by the time the ammo arrived it was relatively inexpensive compared to other available brands.
    Between that shipment and the next one supplier moved production to the US. I didn't know that. The ammo was sent from US to Italy and then on to SA. As the origin was the US and not Eurozone the duties doubled, the prices had gone up (I guess the US hazardous shipping charges were included) and we ended up with a shitload of very expensive ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Thanks to all the dealers that are actually prepared to go through all this trouble.

It seems that even if you are lucky enough to get all the paperwork right,the guns that land may well have a different different serial number to the paperwork and get impounded.Additionally and en route they may go through a country for which there is no permit and guess what happens then.Given all the trouble I am surprised that anyone bothers.
    Indeed. If even one serial number is wrong the entire shipment can get impounded. Had this happen with some Taurus guns about 15 years ago when Bothma was in charge of CFR and he refused to issue the permit after the shipment landed. We still haven't got the guns back.

User

It seems they try and make this process as difficult as possible.

I have a new respect for what you guys go through for your customers.

There's lots nice about it:

The challenges
    The adrenaline rushes
    The customers
    The products

User

I can now understand why there are so many tactical shops selling all kind of gun accessories and toys without any actual guns. Goodness.

Hahaha, "swat & wiggle"... I saw what you did there :).

Thanks for the post response.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I can now understand why there are so many tactical shops selling all kind of gun accessories and toys without any actual guns. Goodness.
    If they have a safe/strongroom they could stock guns. Importers/wholesalers usually have the stock. It makes more economic sense to only order from the distributor when a customer requests a specific firearm. Cash flow, ya know ...
    And strong rooms are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Hahaha, "swat & wiggle"... I saw what you did there :).

Thanks for the post response.
    Cool. They're the one extreme.
    The other is a (fictitious, of course) manufacturer in South America called Tortoise. I place my order, serial numbers for the full order are sent to me 2 months later. When my import permit is issued I pay and the shipment is dispatched immediately. The forwarder doesn't require payment at the same time as the serial numbers are given to me. The sales rep calls me regularly just to chat. I'm not required to pay for parts. The only paperwork is my order. I sell literally thousands of their guns every few months and have very few come backs / issues.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast