Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Importing guns wholesale. How it works?

Question - has the import process gotten more and more complicated over the years, or has there always been this many checks, balances and admin?

Quote Originally Posted by LocknLoad View Post
    Question - has the import process gotten more and more complicated over the years, or has there always been this many checks, balances and admin?
    It gets more complicated with each shipment, particularly from the US and Europe. They're starting to make our CFR seem like a well-oiled machine by comparison. I'm not certain but I suspect the UN small arms treaty has something to do with this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicyale View Post
    It gets more complicated with each shipment, particularly from the US and Europe. They're starting to make our CFR seem like a well-oiled machine by comparison. I'm not certain but I suspect the UN small arms treaty has something to do with this.
    Yeah heard that US is placing huge restrictions on FA's and even accessories like holsters these days. Admin galore for folks like you I would suspect. Thanks for the info throughout though, interesting read...

Even grips are classified as gun parts and need an export license. Scopes need an export license. I wrote once here about the two chaps from Washington who came to SA to ask me who was buying US scopes from me and whether I was re-exporting them.
    Japanese manufactured scopes, by the way.
    There's a shipping line that refused to transport pellet guns to SA as they are "weapons of war".
    Another time a ship arrived here with ammo for us and somehow forgot to offload it before moving on to the next port. The ammo had to be dumped overboard as the ship didn't have permission to dock there with our ammo.

User

I find the/this whole process quite ironic/absurb,these very same governments dont have any qualms to drop shiploads of weapons/ammo into any location when it expediently suits their needs,this with little or zero control or interest as to where this would end up.

Dont send me a scope or a replacement handgrip tho,lmao... very f**ked up world we live in!
    Last edited by curious george; 18-05-2013 at 11:51.

User

*absurd*

oops lol

1. utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false: an absurd explanation.

noun 2. the quality or condition of existing in a meaningless and irrational world.

Ja, all this only makes sense when you look for an unspoken agenda. Job creation, power play, ego trips, mostly $$$ though.
    But for me the most time-consuming, expensive and frustrating rotten tasks are having to deal with local govt departments. Every single one of them.

User

That's nothing like the "Lord of War" movie :( ......seems more like "Lord of Administration"

This thread should be stickied.
    And trust me, Nadine made it sound easier than it is sometimes. Often you are busy now, with orders you hope to get sometime next year. And then someone will call and ask "can't you just get me one of XXX"
    Then you have factories in certain European countries that are happy to sell you shotguns, but their govt is totally paranoid about handguns. They are so scared that their guns will be re-exported somewhere (against just about all end-user certificates) that they won't export handguns here until our CFR institutes pc systems to ensure that no export permit can be granted for their guns. Of course, CFR says no..they can't do that, and so this manufacturer says no...we won't sell civilian pistols.
    So if you want any of those guns, they have to be imported from somewhere else.
    Parts need permits. Magazines need permits. Scopes and sights and springs need permits. If your pistols say "comes with 1 mag" then your pistols had better not arrive with 2 in the box. If you have a permit for 223 semi auto rifles, and an inspector overseas mikes the chamber to 5,56 specs...you have a world of trouble.
    The US might grant 223 permits oneday...but refuse anything saying 5.56. You have to stay ahead of all of these changes and idiosyncrasies to succeed.
    In Europe, someone suddenly decides that all shotgun ammo can only be shipped by one carrier. And that carrier, having a monopoly, decides to suddenly charge double. And only one route can be used suddenly.
    It's all part of the fun and games, and the reason why so many shops prefer to buy from distributors and not import themselves.

DSG

I for one never knew it was such a huge schlep to import guns and parts. I thought applying for my firearm license was bad...... Thank you Nadine and DSG for clearing this up, and Kreefstert for asking the question I had been wondering myself. And to think I used to wonder if the importers were just a bit lazy.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast