User

Default Student still in the dark after ordeal

http://m.iol.co.za/article/view/s/11/a/413031

Student still in the dark after ordeal
    18 May | 11:06
    pic
    By Thabiso Thakali

Johannesburg - There was a flurry and promised action when Daniel Oosthuyse went on radio and told how he was allegedly assaulted, pepper-sprayed, bundled into the back of a metro police van and driven around five weeks ago.

This week, more than a month later, Oosthuyse was asking why those who had subjected him to the ordeal had not been held accountable.

It was after midnight on April 18 when Oosthuyse, 21, who had been studying for exams, sought respite and decided to drive across the road at 1am to Fourways Crossing to meet up with a friend, Dane Hammond.

It all seemed peaceful on the road as he drove towards McDonald’s and parked outside it. But upon his arrival in his vehicle, he was pounced upon by two Joburg metro police officers.

They asked him why he had failed to stop when they flicked their lights behind his car ordering him to do so. He told the officers he had not seen the blue lights flashing or heard a siren indicating he should pull over.

They demanded that he drive with them to a roadblock in Bryanston for a blood test. When he showed displeasure and asked that he instead be tested on the scene if there was a suspicion of drunken driving, he was allegedly pepper-sprayed and bundled into the back of the van.

On an audio clip on his cellphone Oosthuyse can be heard pleading with one officer that he wasn’t resisting arrest.

Hammond, who witnessed the incident and attempted to take a picture of the van’s registration numbers with his cellphone, was also left lying on the ground after being pepper-sprayed before the officers drove his friend to an unidentified location.

At no stage was he taken for a blood test as first suggested, but was subjected to alleged abuse and threats on more than one occasion.

He was later dumped some distance from his car after being told he was being taught a lesson.

In a complete state of disorientation and unable to see, Oosthuyse took off his T-shirt and attempted to wipe away the burning itch in his eyes.

The scene remains etched in his mind. It won’t go away.

Despite filing a complaint with the Douglasdale police of assault and harassment against the officers, who he hoped would be traced through their car registration, no one has been arrested.

“My mother was told by the McDonald’s manager that their camera surveillance covers the whole parking which means the footage of the incident can be viewed,” he said. “But the premises managers have told us they can release the footage only to the police.”

Oosthuyse also approached Edna Mamonyane, spokeswoman for the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD), to file a complaint with internal affairs for action. He said Mamonyane had referred him to another internal affairs officer, whom he had not been able to get hold of.

“I don’t understand why I should be running after them with this. I am the victim and they should be calling me to offer their help and try get to the bottom of this,” he added.

Mamonyane, however, promised to get internal affairs officers to call Oosthuyse and take his statement.

“Much as he has laid a criminal charge with SAPS we still have to internally investigate the matter in order to take action,” she said. “(Oosthuyse) should have called me back if he struggled to get hold of the person I referred him to.”

Mervyn Cirota, DA spokesman on public safety in Joburg, said more situations where JMPD officers abused their powers by acting with force and intimidation were being reported.

“There is clearly a real and not unreasonable belief that the institutions that are there to protect us… not only fail to do that, but abuse their statutory powers because they can and because they are clearly of the view that they will not be accountable for their actions,” he said.

“I am reliably informed that more than 40 cases relating to abuse of power or conduct unbecoming by JMPD officials are trapped in limbo at internal affairs.”

Saturday Star

User

Default Re: Student still in the dark after ordeal

How would you handle this situation? It seems the chops use abuse their authority on an increasing basis. We are left more and more helpless.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post
    How would you handle this situation? It seems the chops use abuse their authority on an increasing basis. We are left more and more helpless.
    Now that is the gazillion Zimdollar question.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post
    And one can't act here out if self defense. Labelled a cop killer is nit on one's wish list. On the other hand, get roughed up in the van and they see your FA, what's the chances you going to still have it when you get 'dropped' off again.... :what:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2