Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default velocities from a .22lr revolver?

has anyone cronied a .22lr revolver with std vel 40 gr solids?

4" barrel tight cylindergap.

any velocity tests will help pls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: velocities from a .22lr revolver?

Oooh! A Burgo!

Burgo serial number 45748 should go down in history as one of the nails in the recent SAPS coffin.

Do you have the little thingummy that screws in under the barrel, that you use to poke the empties out with? 'cos that's the only bit I kept...

YES THIS IS JUST A PICK OFF THE NET MINE IS IN PERFECT CONDITION
    SO YOU KNOW ABOUT BURGO, ANYTHING YOU COULD TELL ME REGARDS TO ITS HISTORY VALUE ETC.

I GOT THIS ONE FROM A COLLEGUE BUT HAVE NO HISTORY OR SPECS ON IT.

AND WRT MY ORIGINAL QUESTION ON VELOCITIES?

Quote Originally Posted by wrm
    Oooh! A Burgo!

Burgo serial number 45748 should go down in history as one of the nails in the recent SAPS coffin.

Do you have the little thingummy that screws in under the barrel, that you use to poke the empties out with? 'cos that's the only bit I kept...

User

Quote Originally Posted by cjonk
    SO YOU KNOW ABOUT BURGO, ANYTHING YOU COULD TELL ME REGARDS TO ITS HISTORY VALUE ETC.
    IT'S A CHEAP AND... oops, sorry.

It's generally regarded as a "cheap and nasty" little revolver with negligible monetary value. Oldguns.net pegs it at $25 - $50.

A fellow called Karl Burgsmuller distributed them, as far as I know they were actually manufactured by Rohm, and identical to the RG-10. Time frame was 1955-1970.

I inherited mine and licenced it as such. With the new act there was no way for me to relicence (I'm a dedicated collector and sport shooter but the Burgo doesn't fit anything) so I handed it in for destruction. A long story which ended with me spending a morning in the High Court this week :-)

nasty?
    mine works fine, good for vermin

IT'S A CHEAP AND... oops, sorry.

It's generally regarded as a "cheap and nasty" little revolver with negligible monetary value. Oldguns.net pegs it at $25 - $50.

A fellow called Karl Burgsmuller distributed them, as far as I know they were actually manufactured by Rohm, and identical to the RG-10. Time frame was 1955-1970.

I inherited mine and licenced it as such. With the new act there was no way for me to relicence (I'm a dedicated collector and sport shooter but the Burgo doesn't fit anything) so I handed it in for destruction. A long story which ended with me spending a morning in the High Court this week :-)

grn1 hpy180 hpy180

YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE QUESTION, ITS NOT ABOUT BURGO.

WHAT VELOCITIES CAN I EXPECT FROM A 4" .22 LR REVOLVER USING 40GR STD VEL SOLID LEAD AMMO?

AND CAN YOU KILL A LARGE PIG WITH IT FOR SLAUGHTER?

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm

grn1 hpy180 hpy180

User

Large pig? At your own risk yeah. Sorry, but that's just plain insane!
    I wouldn't use anything less than a 180gr .40S&W CMJ to the front of the head...

YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE QUESTION, ITS NOT ABOUT BURGO.

WHAT VELOCITIES CAN I EXPECT FROM A 4" .22 LR REVOLVER USING 40GR STD VEL SOLID LEAD AMMO?

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm

grn1 hpy180 hpy180

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank
    I wouldn't use anything less than a 180gr .40S&W CMJ to the front of the head...
    For slaughter (i.e. not hunting) where you're in control of not only the animal but the environment, shot-distance, shot-placement, backstop and angle? A .22 LR 40gr solid to the dome will drop even the biggest hog if done correctly. Hell, a .22 shot to the noggin is legally used to drop 500kg steers prior to slaughter! Pop 'im in the center of the forehead like this: draw an imaginary "X" between the eyes and ears and place the shot on the "X" (interestingly enough, this is where the term "Get off the "X"!" comes from!). Or simply side-on, halfway on line between the eye and ear. Slit his throat ASAP thereafter to complete the slaughtering process, and he's good to go and as dead as disco.

Using a 180gr .40 for slaughtering a pig is just plain insane, china. It's too loud, too messy, too risky and will most definitely over-penetrate and ruin someone's day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by deonh
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendank
    For slaughter (i.e. not hunting) where you're in control of not only the animal but the environment, shot-distance, shot-placement, backstop and angle? A .22 LR 40gr solid to the dome will drop even the biggest hog if done correctly. Hell, a .22 shot to the noggin is legally used to drop 500kg steers prior to slaughter! Pop 'im in the center of the forehead like this: draw an imaginary "X" between the eyes and ears and place the shot on the "X" (interestingly enough, this is where the term "Get off the "X"!" comes from!). Or simply side-on, halfway on line between the eye and ear. Slit his throat ASAP thereafter to complete the slaughtering process, and he's good to go and as dead as disco.

Using a 180gr .40 for slaughtering a pig is just plain insane, china. It's too loud, too messy, too risky and will most definitely over-penetrate and ruin someone's day.
    Ok fine, comes down to opinion in my mind.
    I sure as hell wouldn't use a .22 to dispatch a big pig, I don't feel it is humane and this comes from a friend's father who tried it and failed dismally, causing the pig serious trauma.
    At least with a .40S&W, even a decent JHP, you're almost assured to humanely dispatch the pig with a single shot, if its placed inbetween the eyes or side-on through the head.

Use what you like, I'm just saying using a .22 to me is madness...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast