Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Frontier Spartan Rifle Bullets

Hi

I was surfing www and came across the Frontier website.

I have seen some posts about their handgun bullets but has anybody had any experience reloading their rifle bullets and using them in the hunting field?

User

Default Re: Frontier Spartan Rifle Bullets

I have not used them but I also discovered their website recently. I am also most interested to hear how they perform.

User

Have not used Frontier Sparatn myself, but other Hunters are really happy with them!!!
    I would put them in the same league as Rhino bullets

User

Frontier Spartan is a range of monolithic hunting bullets; manufactured from pure copper, cut on CNC lathes.

Rhino is a solid shank, core bonded bullet.
    They are two very different bullets. I'm not saying that they are bad bullets as I've never used or seen them in action,
    but I don't think they would be put in the same league.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani
    Frontier Spartan is a range of monolithic hunting bullets; manufactured from pure copper, cut on CNC lathes.

Rhino is a solid shank, core bonded bullet.
    They are two very different bullets. I'm not saying that they are bad bullets as I've never used or seen them in action,
    but I don't think they would be put in the same league.
    More like in same league as Barnes tripple shock. Very simmilar at the least.

User

Default RE: FRONTIER SPARTAN BULLETS

Hi guys, I know the post is a bit outdated, but I'd like to share my experience will the Frontier Spartan. I have just completed load development with the 200gr Spartans in my Sako .30-06. Im very impressed with the accuracy. Because it is a monolithic, the extra length suits my rifle. The bullet performance on game is a bit of mixed result. Firstly I shot a big Blue Wildebeest cow. The Bullet hit a bit high on the shoulder but broke both the tops of the sholder and the spine and exited with 2x the size of the entrance wound. Only 2kg of meat was damaged and had to be turfed. Perfect bullet performance? I Thought so too... Untill.... The following week I shot a very young Blue wildebeest. It was standing perfectly broadside. The bullet hit it once again in the engine room, a bit high, but this time only through the spine. When we slaughtered the animal, I was shocked to see that the bullet hadn't exited. (Even cheap hornady Interlocks exit a young animal). I recovered the projectile on the opposite side under the skin. The projectile was still completely intact, no mushrooming AT ALL was seen. The point wasn't even bulged. And this from a hollow point? It looked asif the bullet was a solid, not a premium hunting bullet. I am sure if it was a larger animal the penetration would not have been sufficient and the animal would have been lost. Both were shot at about 150m and the muzzle velocity of my load is 2400ft/s. This velocity should be sufficient to ensure expansion. So.. Mixed resultes. I'll be switching to SST's for my next hunt.

Hello Michaelrp

If you are interested in monolithics you should give GSC a try. I am currently using only one rifle to hunt, a 300 wm, and I tried to get a single load for all my hunting. After a lot of searching I settled on the 160 grain GSCHV bullet. To date I have shot a Black Wildebeest ( 154metres ), Blesbuck ( 200metres ) and 4 Springbuck ( 100-170metres ). Maybe not enough to really test the round but I am happy so far. The GS points are not magic bullets but they come close to helping me in getting reliable one shot kills with fairly little meat damage from a calibre that is really travelling. I try not to hit heavy bone. The nice thing about the bullet/calibre combination is its ability to shoot flat with little bullet drop over normal hunting distances. The other thing that helped me with my decision was the fact that I would get longer barrel life using these bullets due to their design. You know how difficult it is to re-barrel a rifle nowadays and I like to shoot a lot. It should take a little longer before rebarreling will have to take place. During a recent hunt a buddy shot a Blue Wildebeest with a 3006 loaded with a 130 grain GSCHV. Results were good enough to convince me that it is a good product.

In .30-06 I would choose 150 or 165gr Spartans or TSX. Those monos need some speed to perform well. Perhaps those 200's are too slow and being so long they may begin to yaw/fishtail, further inhibiting expansion.

I am no expert but this seems to be a common issue.

User

I have no knowledge of the manufacturing process for the Frontier Spartans but know a bit about the Barness X bullets. When the X's are made a special punch is used to preform and strategically weaken the inside of the cavity. The bullet is then swaged to shape. This is why the Barnes bullets always open in the identical and reliable way that they do. Most of the other expanding monolithics do not make use of this process (they are just drilled) and that is why many of them fail to expand at lower velocities or they expand in random and irregular ways, often with the nose section breaking away. In my opinion the Barnes X bullets are superior to all the others as far as uniform, reliable expansion and weight retension is concerned.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I think the manufacturers of Spartan bullets originally set out to manufacture bullets that were lighter for use in the bigger calbres such as 458 etc so that owners of rifles in these calibres could use them for smaller game and shoot with lessened recoil. That was then. Now they have expanded their range to even include handgun calibres.
    Never used them myself, have read some conflicting reports, ranging from good groupings to failure to expand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast