Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 7.65mm for self defence?

I say no.

The various explanations suffice.

User

There is a reason why 9mmP, 40S&W, 45ACP, 38spl, 357mag and 44mag, as well as MANY other calibers in between are MOSTLY chosen for EDC tools. They where designed with the thought of not maming or wounding or maybe killing your opponent, but as an effective caliber to stop a threat quicker than a .22short/long, .25, 32ACPand 9mmK.
    Personally the 7.65 is not big enough a caliber for ME to carry. Bigger has always been better (calibers)

User

The Romans used the gladius to put colonize vast tracts of the world. Why do we need these newfangled firearms when the human body hasn't changed since then either.

This is as illogical as your premis.

User

Quote Originally Posted by roberta View Post
    i say yes...wait let me explain
    everyone talks about stopping power but people forget that the 7.65mm/32acp was the most used caliber in ww1 and even though ammunition (powders and bullets) advanced ,the human body didnt grown immune or stronger against bullet wounds.yes ther are bitter and more powerfull calibers today ther isnt anything wrong with a fmj 7.65mm.

What do you guys think?
    I think this:
    The unrespected 7.65mm calibre cartridge you quote as being "the most used calibre of ww1" was used during WW1 in pistols like the Browning, Walther model 4, Mauser, Dreyse and other long forgotten obselete little guns - all of which had one thing in common besides the calibre; they were all used by the losing side.

Now I'm not blaming the 7.65mm for costing them the First World War but the war was started with a 9mmK, so perhaps there would have been a more successful outcome for that side, if as war escalated, so did the calibre they should have used for their little Westen Taschen Pistole(term used for effect and not acuracy).
    They actually had no excuse for losing that war because the 9mm parabellum had been around since 1902 and was in fact invented by one of their own chaps. If they had just woken up earlier perhaps a different outcome hey ? Oh well, spilt milk now.

I think small pistols do have a place in society and I agree that a small calibre pistol in hand is mostly better than a handbroom when trying to defend against multiple armed attackers, but as history has just shown us, and by us I mean me, is that size does count. Altho, as you quite correctly mention, at the end of the day it's all about the placement.

In WW2, the Allies had .45ACP's - just saying. They also won.
    Last edited by MarkCT; 22-05-2013 at 13:53.

User

No, this is not the number one gun for self defence.
    BUT I still have to meet the crook who will stand still so that I can shoot him with my PPK.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

To paraphrase Jeff Copper: don't carry a 7.65 for SD, its dangerous, you might need to use it and shoot someone AND if he finds out he will be pissed and might kill you!

User

Quote Originally Posted by 308er View Post
    No, this is not the number one gun for self defence.
    BUT I still have to meet the crook who will stand still so that I can shoot him with my PPK.
    I won't stand still and let you shoot me with a BB gun ergo a Daisy is an awesome self defence choice.

User

At least with the .32 there is no choice of FMJ/HP like the .380.
    It has to be ball and then it penetrates enough but makes a small hole

User

I also have a 7.65, according to the ballistic gel tests I came across the FMJ does reliably reach the required penetration. The hollow points however fell quite short.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I won't stand still and let you shoot me with a BB gun ergo a Daisy is an awesome self defence choice.
    Cool

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast