Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 338 Winmag

Default 338 Winmag

How many of my fellow hunters are using .338 Winmag and if they are handloading, what are their componants of choice. When is PMP going to start thinking of adding this great allrounder to their line-up of hunting ammo.

User

Default Re: 338 Winmag

1. Post an intro.
    2. Don't mention PMP, they don't give a crap about the South African shooter.
    3. The .338 Win Mag is a very, very underrated caliber. I love it (friend's rifle). Shoots Sierra bullets from Lapua brass via S365 if I remember correctly. It's too expensive to buy ammo for it - reloading is the way to go. He currently likes Claws as well, but with the Frontier Spartans he also got great results.

User

I am also eyeing the 338WM as a rifle larger than my 308 but smaller than the 375HH and up.

The purpose of the rifle would be to shoot 200gr -250gr.

Whats the recoil like on this gun? Better than a 300WM?

User

It's debatable. I don't mind the recoil because I like it, but it's not significantly more than the .300 WM, specially with a proper stock. In fact, from personal experience, comparing two Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifles, one in .300WM and the other in .338WM, next to each other, the same day minutes within shots between them, the .338 definitely kicks more, but it has a more controlled push rather than the kick of the .300.

I've shot low to high loads from both rifles, and the .338 shoots flatter and faster with a heavier bullet than the .300 with proper loads. It's an awesome, awesome rifle and I really can't get over it. I want one as well, it's only money that's the issue.

I use one. Used to shoot 225 Interlocks out of it but moved on to 250 grainers. Where the 338 shines is with 250 grain to 300 grain bullets. Its a great caliber but packs a punch on the shoulder. Try test one out before you lay down the cash.

Don't waste your time with PMP.

User

Sjeesj PMP is taking a beating all over the show on all the forums, I hope they have someone in QC thats google competent

What about fitting a muzle break or suppressor to the 338? Especially if your bakkie hunting in the Kalahari?

User

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Sjeesj PMP is taking a beating all over the show on all the forums, I hope they have someone in QC thats google competent
    I've told their main peanut (now the CEO of PMP) this before, and sent him links where people complained and bitched about PMP's customer service and their care for the general public. I was clearly advised that they don't care for the private sector much and that their money comes from the military and exports sector. But back to topic.

My friend shoots 300gr from his .338. They shoot like a dream, they kick but it's not unmanagable (he has a recoil absorber in the stock though) and I think it's an excellent, excellent all-rounder.

User

My favorite rifle, the 338 is an awesome caliber I mostly use 250g

you wont be making a mistake buying one.

User

I also prefer the sako hammerhead bullets in 250g

User

Very nice caliber. I shoot 300gr Woodleigh at 2316fps for Bushveld and 200gr Nosler at 2841fps for longer shots.

My Browning Stalker came with a factory fitted muzzle brake which works exceptionally well at promoting the sales of hearing protection. Without the brake, recoil is noticeable, but then all my big caliber rifles do tend to get the adrenaline going. I don't mind that much. At least 'friends' only take one shot to try it out..

Very efficient using heavy bullets with minimal meat damage. Eland, in 99% of my hunts just dropped on the spot.

If you want to go for long distance with lighter bullets, few calibers will compare.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast