Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default My biking accident with EDC gear

As some of you may know, I was recently involved in a motorcycle crash.
    The accident happened while I was travelling at a speed of about 60 – 70 Kph. I used to drive a immaculate Suzuki DL650 vStrom (Adventure Tourer)
    While travelling to work at 7:15am On Friday 25th May 2013, A white Mazda bakkie decided to turn right in front of me to take one of the local turnoffs on the rural tarred road. I immediately realized I was now in serious trouble and braking would not work here. Only possible other option would be to swerve severely to my right thereby clinging to the slight possibility of avoiding an accident.
    I hit the bakkie on it’s side, which then flung me from the bike and causing me and the bike to slide across the tarred road. The bike was eventually found a short distance in the veld away from the road.
    I first landed on my hands and front ( from the damage done to my visor and gloves) but eventually flipped over onto my back. My backpack and motorcycle jacket and biking gloves literary destroyed itself in the process, but worked brilliantly. My Jean was a bit torn to pieces.

When I eventually came to a stop, I found that I cannot see through my visor. I lifted my visor to do a critical check of myself (I am a level 1 first aider) and immediately found that my right femur bone was sticking out of my leg and I was lying on my left foot. I immediately knew now that I had sustained possibly fatal injuries.

Luckily for me, everything seemed to be going my way again. My Father-in-law was driving behind me at the time and he is qualified level 3 first aider. Also two nurses from our local hospital’s surgical ward was just returning from night shift duty also stopped by assist, and had a drip in me before the ambulance from the same hospital arrived mere minutes later.

My EDC gear includes the following:
    CZ75 pre-B (chamber loaded, hammer down) carried on Front Line IWB Kydex holster
    Two spare mags carried in Fobus twin mag pouch.

My father-in-law knew of my EDC condition and I asked him to see if he can locate my CZ75 and keep both the mags and gun with him. Gun was found still inside the holster, as well as one of the two mags. At this point I didn’t really care too much about the one missing magazine as I knew that my gun was safe. The missing mag was later found during X-rays in my torn jean
    Luckily for us we have witness who saw everything that happened.
    The driver of the bakkie made a false accident report to the police, claiming I hit him from behind and that I was driving without a jacket, gloves and helmet (at 7:15am in winter?????)
    My left Femur bone was later found to be broken in four places, and the lower tibia and fibula also shattered. After four operations, Titanium pins and spikes now keeps my leg in position and leg is out of danger of being amputated

I would like to thank all those who supported me during my ordeal as well as all the well wishes from all involved.
    Today (Sunday June 5th 2013) marks the first time I was able to stand up from my hospital bed. The wounds on the leg is heeling quite well and every day I feel that little bit better and I hope to be able to go home soon. I can also get by for longer and longer periods without asking for pain medication.
    I can only thank God for my great recovery.

Also impotant to note is that the chambered round did not fire by itself during the accident and was removed from the chamber when my father-in-law made the gun safe when he stored it in my safe at home later during the day. I personally have not seen my gun, mags, holsters as I am still in hospital, but was told by my wife that it's all still largely intact.

Keep safe.

User

Default Re: My biking accident with EDC gear

Blikkies Mic! Glad you are okay!

I wish you a speedy recovery!

User

Wow, that is some scary shit.

Glad you made it out, albeit in pieces Mic!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

I wish you a speedy recovery.

User

All the best! Sounds like the worst is probably behind you

I hope you can put the screws unto the bakkie driver.

User

Good luck mic! Will keep you in my prayers

User

I hope you recover well and soon. :)

User

Get well soon.

User

Sho hope you mend quickly

User

Glad you are up again Mic!

You will be on the range in no time again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast