Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default SUREFIRE 500 Lumen E2D DEFENDER ULTRA.

I received the first (and only) Surefire E2D DEFENDER ULTRA form Surefire SA yesterday after quite a long wait (due to the fact that the light was only released in the last couple of weeks in the USA) since I ordered it and the LX2 Ultra several months ago.

I have been informed that the LX2 Ultra is most probably not going to see the light - pardon the pun.

The E2D Ultra is the upgrade from the E2D and imo a well worth it upgrade because:

1) It now has a max output of 500 Lumen compared to the 200 Lumen of the E2D. The throw, lighting and peripheral lighting is significantly better from the E2DU compared to the E2D - more about the 500 Lumen spec below.

2) The head/TIR lens is a little wider and the effect of this can be clearly seen when comparing the E2DU and the E2D (which I also have) throw pattern with the E2DU giving better throw. The Surefire TIR lens system is an integrated reflector and designed lens that manages the throw of the available light form the LED.

3) The "strike" bevel has been improved imo by beveling the outside of the strike edges to enhance comfort when carried down in pocket.

4) The pocket clip is now the same as the recurve design found on the LX2 which allows for the light to be carried bezel/head up or down.

5) A significant and hidden change and improvement is the fact that both ends of the battery terminals are now spring loaded which makes this one tough light that will survive hard use even on high recoiling firearms.

I found a very interesting review which puts the 500 Lumen output specs in practical perspective.

The full 500 Lumen output is only available for a fairly short period of around 10 minutes runtime after which the output drops to around 370 Lumen which is still about a 80% - 85% upgrade in usable performance form the 200 Lumen E2D. The E2D Ultra gives about twice the output with more economical battery use.

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/r...re-e2dl-ultra/

In my opinion and compared to chinese specs the Surefires may be a bit modest in stating their performance specs.

The E2D Ultra has a very slight yellow tint compared to the bright white of the E2D 200 Lumen model.

The E2D Ultra is most definitely a first class, top tier hard use tactical light albeit at a somewhat hefty price - guesstimate SRP of around R2700.00 when they become available.

I wish Surefire would up the low output level to something like 30 or 50 Lumens instead of the very low run forever 5 Lumens.
    Last edited by DS; 11-06-2013 at 22:14.

User

Default Re: SUREFIRE 500 Lumen E2D DEFENDER ULTRA.

Nice. Looks like they have a winner here

User

Sounds excellent. Does it have the same switching system as the lx2? Halfway low output all the way full output.

User

LX2 is not a clicky but it has low first stage and high second stage. To get constant on one needs to turn the switch cap.

The E2D Ultra has the same clicky switch system as the E2D predecessor:

- first soft press on the button (not follow through to clicky) gives momentary high and second soft press gives low;

- going straight to clicky defaults to high only;

- to click into low one needs to follow the soft press to get to low and then follow through click to have low constant on;

So to sum up - High is the default first mode when pressing the button to momentary or follow through to clicky constant.
    Last edited by DS; 11-06-2013 at 11:17.

User

Howzit D,

Congrats. That's one fine piece of equipment. I love the design of the Executive series. But I agree with you, a low setting of 5 lumens should have been perhaps 15 lumens which i consider more usable. Nonetheless, I want one for myself.

I got one of the Fury models and am interested to know how the two measure up, especially that the E2D ultra uses the TIR lens. Do you have one of the Fury models to compare this beast to? The Fury has great spill and I'm curious to see how it does against the Defender. If so, feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

User

Khumba, thanks for that, I didn't realize that was how it worked. I'm a little more tempted by one then, like I said in the other topic I want my lights to be on and off.

How is the 500 lumen run time compared to something like the Fury? Both run 2 CR123's, but the circuit boards may draw differently.

KBK

User

@Malcolmm
    I do not have Fury - I held out for the E2D Ultra because I want to be able to pocket or pouch carry it as the need comes up. Check the link I posted and go to the Beamshot slides and follow these instructions to see the comparison between the E2D Ultra and the Fury:
    "The following slides show the E2DL Ultra beam compared to a variety of other lights. The beams can be compared across the full width of the image using the slider, while additional images can be accessed by using the navigation buttons in the bottom-right corner."

@Kayback
    Run time on high is said to be around 2.25Hours = until lumens drop below 50 - which is a better run time than the 200 Lumen E2D gives.

User

Sweet thanks. Gonna have to look into getting one. How much if I may ask?

KBK

User

See post #1 - do not know but I guess in the region of what the X300 Ultra price is - guestimate around R2700?

User

Thanks D.

Kayback, I noticed that the Surefire prices have gone up in the last few days, significantly I may add :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast