Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BulM5rocks

Default IDPA "Africa" Championships

So does the "general public" believe that we can actually take this "match" seriously ??

A grand total of 68 shooters - mainly from Gauteng province. Shooters getting silver medals for being second in a class of two

You've got to be kidding me !!

Default Re: IDPA "Africa" Championships

Quote Originally Posted by BulM5rocks
    So does the "general public"  believe that we can actually take this "match" seriously ??

A grand total of 68 shooters - mainly from Gauteng province. Shooters getting silver medals for being second in a class of two  cfd89

You've got to be kidding me !!
    The fact that I am an IDPA shooter and shot this match notwithstanding, I consider your post to be harmful to sport shooting in general and to this site. I will afford you an opportunity to amend it.

As we have said before, there is a place here for all disciplines.

What you must remember is that IDPA has only been active in SA for a few years. Im sure if you went back to one of the first SAPSA Nationals you would find a similar situation with regard to the number of shooters in attendance.

The Match was sanctioned by IDPA HQ as an Africa event. Shooters from Kenya were invited but could not attend.

On the medal issue: Why should the shooter who came second in his class and division not receive a medal?

As a side issue, you are clearly a IPSC shooter. Regrettably your attitude towards IDPA is one I find to be typical amongst IPSC shooters in general. Not all, but most.

IDPA is what IPSC used to be and what it was always meant to be.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

BulM5rocks

Hi SSP, my IDPA number is 72. :o This post has nothing to do with IPSC versus IDPA.

What I am saying is that the sport is currently too small to have a genuine "African championships" even with one kenyan attending. I am saying that SADPA needs to re-look the status of the championship and scale it down. There are very few clubs who have the necessary resources at hand to host an event of this kind.

I'm not quite sure what should replace it - perhaps "regional champs" ? The champs have always been hosted in Gauteng and very few shooters from other areas make the trip. The clubs such as touws rivier are too small to host a national. That's why I reckon a regional or provincial champs would make more sense. Maybe have a"national" where the class champs from each province compete against each other.

If the idea of a champs is so fantastic why wasn't a host club found in January and not a month before champs ?

Please don't make assumptions as to my motives - healthy debate is supposedly one of our "rights" Are you saying that as an IDPA "disciple" you have the god given right to smother healthy debate ?

Nice, very nice !!

Make your motives clear and the readers of your posts will not have to make assumptions.

If the idea of a champs is so fantastic why wasn't a host club found in January and not a month before champs ?
    I don't think this is factually accurate.

Are you saying that as an IDPA "disciple" you have the god given right to smother healthy debate ?
    I have the duty, as a moderator of this forum, to ensure that harmful content (both to this site and to shooting in general) is not posted. This right and duty has nothing to do with me shooting IDPA.

Havamal

BulM5rocks

SSP - as a moderator, you should be impartial as to comments regarding any shooting sport !! it is quite obvious you take exception to anybody saying anyhting vaguely negative about " your" sport.

If you were more open to suggestions about "your" sport you might even be able to improve matters.

SSP - as a moderator, you should be impartial as to comments regarding any shooting sport !! it is quite obvious you take exception to anybody saying anyhting vaguely negative about " your" sport.

If you were more open to suggestions about "your" sport you might even be able to improve matters.
    You may recall that I, just today, edited a post which I found to be harmful to IPSC 3 Gun. You ought to, you replied to the same thread.

In point of fact, you only made your suggestions with regard to IDPA in reply to my response to your negative post. If you were really interested in making helpful comments and suggestions you would have began your thread with them, or at least should have done.
    Havamal

BulM5rocks

Touche lv29

As you shoul know - previous champs have had to limit the number of entrants as there were too many !! Number of entrants in previous champs have been higher than 100 !!

Any way you look at it - you can't call it an "African Champs" if the only entrants are South african - even if Bill says so.

Let us compare IDPA and IPSC. IDPA has 1 'big' shoot a year which is called the 'Africa Champs' and IPSC has 3 'big' shoots a year called 'Nationals". I do not have the figures and thus cannot comment on how Manny members either sport has in SA. Yes IPSC has been around much longer in SA and has had the opportunity to grow much longer than IDPA.

It is a pity that the IDPA Africa Champs had only 68 shooters and with the amount of members (of which I am not sure about) I see no reason why it could not have been at least a 100. Yes, I understand the issue about distance. The same happens in IPSC. When the nationals is in the JHB/PTA area, there is more entrants than when it is in Welkom (the last IPSC Nationals for this year is this weekend 30/31 August 2008 in Welkom) and if I look at the squadding list I see less people attending the Welkom Match than the previous one at Eeufees.

On the medal issue, my view is even if there is only one entrant in that division, give him the medal as long as this person was not DQ'd. He/She made the effort to be there and it is not his/her fault that others are to slapg*t to be their. I say this especially with juniors in mind.

No I would not support to view not to call it the 'Africa Champs' as that is what it is. Yes, IPSC has had many years of experience and by now is big and strong enough to do 3 'big' shoots a year although I do hear some stories through the grapevine that this might change with the main issue.....cost. It is not just the cost of the entry fee and ammo, but also the petrol (big issue) and accommodation.

What I am saying is that the sport is currently too small to have a genuine "African championships" even with one kenyan attending. I am saying that SADPA needs to re-look the status of the championship and scale it down. There are very few clubs who have the necessary resources at hand to host an event of this kind.
    Why don't you re-look your participation if you think the event is not worth the trouble. Although I agree that attendance was not ideal, we had enough sponsors, SO's and participants to host the event successfully.

You have the right to your opinions, but I take offence to you belittling the event. A lot of people put a lot of hard work into it, regardless of the outcome.

W.r.t. holding the Champs in Gauteng, this is where the most of the shooters are based. It just make sense to hold it in Gauteng. Rather simple math.

I agree with SSP. This is a forum for the promotion of ALL shooting sports. Next year, rather help out than criticize.

What have you done to promote IDPA and what did you do to encourage fellow IDPA shooters to enter this match?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast