Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default History of the Winchester Black Talon

After a fair bit of research, I thought I would post my findings regarding it's history of developement.

1. Black Talon SXT:
    The bullet/round that started the legendary carry round for Winchester.
    Black lubalox coated bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a nickle plated case.
    They were packaged in black boxes of 20 rounds with a 'Talon logo' on the front.

The Black Talon SXT was released in the following calibers:
    9x19: 147gr S9MM
    .357Magnum: 180gr S357M
    .40S&W: 180gr S40M
    .10MM Auto: 200gr S10M
    .44 Remington Magnum: 250gr S44M
    .45ACP: 230gr S45M

Due to the controvesy caused by two high-profile shootings in 1993, Winchester voluntarily pulled the Black Talon SXT off the market in 1993 to avoid further civil liability cases against itself.
    Apparently, the then Clinton administration was looking into banning all JHP ammo due to the above mentioned shootings and the bad publicity Black Talons and other JHP's were receiving from the media.

2. Ranger SXT First Generation.
    The first ever generation of the Ranger SXT series circa 1994, marked for Law Enforcement Use only.
    Similar looking bullet, black lubalox coated bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a brass case.

The first gen Ranger SXT's were packaged in 50 & 20 round white & red boxes, bearing the description
    "Ranger SXT CONTROLLED EXPANSION".

This was also the first time the 127gr +P+ version was introduced in 9x19.
    It was released in all the previous calibers with the addition of the 127gr bullet as mentioned above.

9x19: 127gr +P+ RA9SXTP, 147gr RA9SXN
    .357Magnum: 180gr RA357SXT
    .40S&W: 180gr RA40SXN
    .10MM Auto: 200gr RA10SXT
    .44 Remington Magnum: 250gr RA44SXT
    .45ACP: 230gr RA45SXT

Somewhere inbetween the first and second generation, another Talon was produced in very limited numbers for specific Law Enforcement Agencies, which was the precursor to the Ranger Talon (Ranger T).
    This round (as far as I can tell) was only made in 9x19 127gr +P+ (Q4280), in 50 round, black/white boxes. It was copper jacketed (non-lubalox coated) bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a nickle plated case.

3. Ranger SXT Generation Two
    Similar to generation one, with a slightly tweaked bullet for improved expansion.
    It was a black lubalox coated bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a brass case.

It was only produced in 50 round beige boxes with Winchester Ranger Star logo and red/yellow writing on the front of the box.
    The only noticible difference was the addition of the .380ACP caliber to the range, removal of the .357Magnum, 10MM Auto, .44 Remington Magnum and some of the product codes changed (possibly due the removal of 20 round boxes from the range). A 165gr flavour was also added to the .40S&W range as it gained popularity with Law Enforcement and civilians alike as well as a 230gr +P flavour in .45ACP
    Released in the following calibers:

.380ACP: 95gr RA380SXT
    9x19: 127gr +P+ RA9SXTP, 147gr RA9SXT
    .40S&W: 165 gr SXTP, 180gr RA40SXT
    .45ACP: 230gr RA45SXT, 230gr +P RA230SXTP

We seemed to have received most of the generation three Ranger SXT's in South Africa, from what I have been told, they were readily available everywhere.
    Production stopped in 2000 and this was the last of the 'Black Talon'.

4. Ranger SXT Generation Three:
    It was copper jacketed (non-lubalox coated) bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a nickle plated case.
    The bullet design was tweaked for expansion and was a vast improvement on its predecessor.
    It was only produced in 50 round beige boxes with Winchester Ranger Star logo and red/yellow writing on the front of the box.

.380ACP: 95gr RA380SXT
    9x19: 127gr +P+ RA9SXTP, 147gr RA9SXT
    .357Sig: 125gr RA357SXT
    .40S&W: 165 gr SXTP, 180gr RA40SXT
    .45ACP: 230gr RA45SXT, 230gr +P RA230SXTP

5. Ranger Talon Generation 1:
    It was copper jacketed (non-lubalox coated) bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a nickle plated case.
    Identicle to the Ranger SXT however now renamed to the Ranger Talon / Ranger T. The product codes changed to reflect the 'T'

.380ACP: 95gr RA380T
    9x19: 127gr +P+ RA9TP, 147gr RA9T
    .357Sig: 125gr RA357T
    .40S&W: 165 gr RA40TP, 180gr RA40T
    .45ACP: 230gr RA45T, 230gr +P RA230TP

6. Ranger Talon Generation 2:
    It is a copper jacketed (non-lubalox coated) bullet with six talons tucked into the meplat, seated in a nickle plated case.
    Radically redesigned bullet with substantially longer, sharper 'Talons', more uniform expansion with a distinct (Gold Dot like) star in the middle
    of the expanded bullet.
    Current production run and extremely hard to source as Winchester will now no longer supply any Ranger ammunition to anyone
    without Law Enforcement accreditation (not even officers themselves).
    It is only produced in 50 round beige boxes with Winchester Ranger Star logo and red/yellow writing on the front of the box.

.380ACP: 95gr RA380T
    9x19: 127gr +P+ RA9TP, 147gr RA9T
    .357Sig: 125gr RA357T
    .40S&W: 165 gr RA40TP, 180gr RA40T
    .45ACP: 230gr RA45T, 230gr +P RA230TP

I hope this will clear any misinformation relating to the Black Talon / Ranger SXT / Ranger T.
    Information obtained from a variety of sources but thanks to Gunbroker & Wikkipedia.

User

Default Re: History of the Winchester Black Talon

Just to illustrate the difference between the Ranger T Generation 1 (RHS) and Ranger T Generation 2 (LHS):
    Attached Images Attached Images

I managed to get a 500rd case of the new Gen 2 Ranger T 230gr 45, although it took me 6 months to get it...beautiful stuff! Was waiting on me when I got back from SA this trip. The ogive of the bullet has changed a bit and the HP seems to be slightly smaller and deeper than the Gen 1.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    I managed to get a 500rd case of the new Gen 2 Ranger T 230gr 45, although it took me 6 months to get it...beautiful stuff! Was waiting on me when I got back from SA this trip. The ogive of the bullet has changed a bit and the HP seems to be slightly smaller and deeper than the Gen 1.
    Nooit bru! Now that's torture! Offsides Ikor. confused0068
    I would love to see it in 124gr +P/127gr +P+ and 165gr/180gr .40S&W here in S.A but alas...

Best we can do is Ranger SXT, which I have in both calibers above - really good rounds.

I still have quite a bit of the Ranger Gen 1 'T' series in .45 and 9mm. It is boxed in SXT marked boxes but the part number shows it is the T series. Mine is marked as # RA9TA...not RA9TP... for the 127gr +P+ 9mm, so I think maybe the TP version may be the relatively new 124gr +P load they have added to the mix?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I managed to get a 500rd case of the new Gen 2 Ranger T 230gr 45,
    Yeah, that really is rude! Talk about rubbing our noses in it! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave
    I managed to get a 500rd case of the new Gen 2 Ranger T 230gr 45,
    Yeah, that really is rude! Talk about rubbing our noses in it! ;D
    Brother, you know I would gladly send most of it across the big water to you guys if I could, but believe me, I have checked on every way I can think of to do it legally and it just is not do-able. Actually, it was a score even for here, since I had to put the order in, pay for it ahead of time and then wait, not knowing when I would get it. I still have HSTs in both 9mm and .45 'out there' somewhere in limbo-land but hopefully on their way sooner or later.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I still have quite a bit of the Ranger Gen 1 'T' series in .45 and 9mm. It is boxed in SXT marked boxes but the part number shows it is the T series. Mine is marked as # RA9TA...not RA9TP... for the 127gr +P+ 9mm, so I think maybe the TP version may be the relatively new 124gr +P load they have added to the mix?
    Ikor
    You're right as usual. I was tired when I QC's the post last night, the RA9TP is indeed the 124gr +P Ranger T and the RA9TA is the 127gr+P+ Ranger T.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

ADMIN
    Please could you add 'Edit' rights to my profile, would like to amend the original post.
    Thanks.

That is quite a job you have done on the BT / SXT / Ranger T, Brendan, and I certainly learned some of things from it even though I have been dealing with these loads since the original BT was first introduced. Congrats! hpy180

I also still have some of the LE Only SXT (with lubalox coating) packaged in both 20rd (.40 and .45) and 50rd (9mm) boxes from the 1990s. I don't know what powder Winchester used in the .45 loads, but I have never seen cases as clean inside after being fired as with them. I used to order this stuff by the thousands for my old agency. You don't wanna know the cost on State Contract at the time! ;D

The 127gr +P+, while a good load, is a bit hard on guns if full duty ammo is all you shoot, which many agencies used to do back when prices and availability were good. The 124+P load was brought out in response to requests from several agencies who were tired of replacing parts like locking blocks, etc. due to the 127gr+P+ loads.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

That is quite a job you have done on the BT / SXT / Ranger T, Brendan, and I certainly learned some of things from it even though I have been dealing with these loads since the original BT was first introduced. Congrats! hpy180

I also still have some of the LE Only SXT (with lubalox coating) packaged in both 20rd (.40 and .45) and 50rd (9mm) boxes from the 1990s. I don't know what powder Winchester used in the .45 loads, but I have never seen cases as clean inside after being fired as with them. I used to order this stuff by the thousands for my old agency. You don't wanna know the cost on State Contract at the time! ;D

The 127gr +P+, while a good load, is a bit hard on guns if full duty ammo is all you shoot, which many agencies used to do back when prices and availability were good. The 124+P load was brought out in response to requests from several agencies who were tired of replacing parts like locking blocks, etc. due to the 127gr+P+ loads.
    Thanks Ikor hpy180
    Interesting, I didn't know about the powder in the LE only SXT, are you referring to the Ranger SXT Generation 1?

From what I've seen, the 124gr +P Ranger T is equal to the 127gr +P+ Ranger T in terms of penetration and in come cases exceeds the 127gr +P+ version, if certain test media.
    I must say I really like the 127gr+P+ Ranger SXT, penetrates very well and expands reliably, also accurate in my pistol. Pitty they are so hard to come by now...
    The hottest loads I've ever shot out of my Star Firestar Plus will definately be the 115gr +P+ LE only Speer Gold Dots, those things have a rep for breaking MP5's which is why quite a few U.S LEA have stopped using them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast