Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: .357 mag - bullet for warthog.

Just wondering as I loaded some 152Gn KT SWC with MP200 at 6 grn and is a very comfortable load have not chronied yet. Hardly any recoil in my GP100 6 inch Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by jond View Post
    Just wondering as I loaded some 152Gn KT SWC with MP200 at 6 grn and is a very comfortable load have not chronied yet. Hardly any recoil in my GP100 6 inch Ruger.
    7.2grn of MP200 behind a 156grn SWC (from B&J bullets, Ottery, CPT) in a 357Mag case, and it only gives me 1130fps, which is sadly pretty pedestrian. I would be looking for something 1350fps+ out of this bullet for hunting purposes.

I am currently using 110grn Impala monolithics at 1545fps (ahead of 10.2grn MP200) for hunting - but have not managed to shoot anything with them yet!

Quote Originally Posted by jond View Post
    TStone what load did you use to with the 155gr SWC and what powder?
    Jond - I have gotten 1350fps on a 156grn SWC (from B&J bullets, CPT), using a Winchester Mag SPP, and 16grn of S265. - The comment I wrote in my range book was "stout, with flat primers!!"

Gun is a S&W686 with a 6" barrel

User

Hey T, I'd like to comment on the XTP question.

I bought my rifle last year and got a box of .357 Magnum Hornady 158gr XTP factory ammo along with it. It also included a few .38SPL rounds and also load data for .357 Magnum ammo using Hornday 158gr XTP bullets. I loaded a bunch of all that I had, including XTP's and different weight SWC cast bullets in both .38SPL and .357 Magnum cases with different powder loads and fired to leisure. Later I loaded up 3 of the factory ammo rounds to see how they'll shoot. The difference is staggering. Where the handloads fire a mild shot (but still proper enough to kill) with virtually no recoil, the XTP factory ammo kicked me so much that I thought the first shot was an improper load. I inspected the case and rifle, worked the action empty to see how it all looked and found no issues, not even pressure signs. It's like it should be. With regards to the accurate, the bullet impacted about 30cm high on 75m but grouped extremely well. I'll be comfortable to shoot those XTP's at distances of up to 75m on animals as large as Kudu, if I can get a proper heart-lung shot, so I'm pretty sure they'll work like a charm on piggies.

I would like to know if someone knows though - does it make a difference that the factory ammo was loaded for handguns and fired in my rifle? Faster burning powder perhaps generating a much larger kick?

Tox - you don't perhaps have velocity data on those loads?

BTW - I would not recommend any hollow point out of a 357Mag for kudu, any more than I would recommend .223Rem on kudu. While many kudu have been shot with .223Rems, it is so marginal as to be irresponsible.

User

I was thinking the same after I posted. A good shot behind the should blade would mean heart/lungs with a smile. That hollow point bullet on the shoulder blade and you'll be searching for a long time. I'd rather not. Smaller game I would still take with those bullets though. I've seen what that rifle/caliber does to Impala at ranges of about 100m, and it's very reassuring.

With regards to velocities on those rounds - Hornady claims 1250FPS from an 8" barrel, link here:

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-158-gr-XTP/

I haven't measured them myself yet, but I found claims that they may be running as fast as 1560FPS from a lever action rifle, but I think I find it a tad hard to swallow.

User

I load 158 grain lead SWC with Alox lube for my Rossi SRC -- 13.6 grains of S265 for 1520 fps.

Junior says that keeping this side of 1600 fps with Alox you don't need gas checks and I believe him.

Hottest I've loaded was 16 grains 265 for 1820 fps. That's with a 158gr cast bullet as well. 17 grains behind a 158gr JSP gives 1770 fps.

User

Liewe donner. That's FAST. I'm doing some proper load development ASAP! Thanks wrm!

Banned

Made my own mould to cast 200 gr swc and used it in a Taurus and Rossi lever action for hunting .
    I have used this bullet on animals up to Kudu and penetration was excellent just avoid the heavy shoulder bones if possible

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I was thinking the same after I posted. A good shot behind the should blade would mean heart/lungs with a smile. That hollow point bullet on the shoulder blade and you'll be searching for a long time. I'd rather not. Smaller game I would still take with those bullets though. I've seen what that rifle/caliber does to Impala at ranges of about 100m, and it's very reassuring.

With regards to velocities on those rounds - Hornady claims 1250FPS from an 8" barrel, link here:

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-158-gr-XTP/

I haven't measured them myself yet, but I found claims that they may be running as fast as 1560FPS from a lever action rifle, but I think I find it a tad hard to swallow.
    Toxxyc

the velocity from the carbine may be correct

16gr S265 behind 160gr frontier CMJ gave 1274 fps from 4" Ruger security 6 (569 ft/lb of energy)and 1740 fps from 20" Rossi carbine (1063 ft/lb of energy)

Makes the carbine a different kettle of fish!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast