Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Remington Golden Saber Bonded

Anyone seen Remington Golden Saber Bonded's before?
    Any reason why we couldn't get them in S.A? They don't seem to be limited to LEO only.

The 124gr +P (GSB9MMD) and 147gr (GSB9MMC) in 9x19 look great.

User

Default Re: Remington Golden Saber Bonded

I think they are LEO only so we probably won't see them here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    I think they are LEO only so we probably won't see them here.
    I think you're right BigT.
    Interesting enough the 25 round box makes no mention of the round being LEO only.
    A 50 round box is also available, this I think may be limited to LEO only.
    Same as Speer Gold Dots, 20 round box for public sale and 50 round box for LEO only - WTF??

User

The GS9MMC which was available here a couple of months a go and will be again is definately bonded.

It would not look like this if it was not bonded http://www.gunsite.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=2833.15

User

Khumba I hate to disagree with you but the Golden Sabre Bonded line is marked as such on all the pics of boxes I have seen. IIRC the product code ends with a B as well. The non bonded ones are the items on DocGKRs list so I am very happy with them anyway.

List of Remington 9mm ammo products, stock numbers and descriptions from the Remington LE site...

http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/pr_b...ics/9mm_la.htm
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    List of Remington 9mm ammo products, stock numbers and descriptions from the Remington LE site...

http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/pr_b...ics/9mm_la.htm
    Thanks Ikor

Sorry doesnt end in B but bonded is GSB9MMC not GS9MMC

User

BigT I was not contemplating the serial number but rather the results.

The bullets I shot and one of which is depicted in the pic all held together extremely well with near 100% weight retention and when compared to premium bonded rifle bullets I have shot and recovered the result is the same or similar.

I really doubt that a non bonded bullet would retain near 100% weight.

This indicates to me that the GS9MMC is also bonded. If the GS9MMC was not bonded imo it would not hold together as it did.

It would be quite interesting to hear of results with non bonded bullets fired into water - did they break up or did they retain near 100% weight.

User

Khumba the Golden Sabre like the Ranger T series hold together particularly well especially being non bonded. Great design being the key. The bonding I understand is primarily of benefit through autoglass which is particularly difficult on bullets.

Non bonded Sabres I played with years ago held together very well in water and wetpack. Those few that lost their jackets appered to occur right at the end of the bullet path

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Khumba the Golden Sabre like the Ranger T series hold together particularly well especially being non bonded. Great design being the key. The bonding I understand is primarily of benefit through autoglass which is particularly difficult on bullets.

Non bonded Sabres I played with years ago held together very well in water and wetpack. Those few that lost their jackets appered to occur right at the end of the bullet path
    The Golden Sabers I tested all held together extremely well with near 100% weight retention. I will at the end of the month also test some through barrier and into water and see what the results are.

BigT I do not think a bullet that is not bonded in some way is going to be able to stay together - if the bullet is not "bonded" in some way there is nothing holding the lead and the copper jacket together.??

Who says the Rangers were not bonded in some way.

Bonding indicates some form of adhesion between the jacket and bullet core which eliminates as far as possible the separation of the lead core from the jacket under stress of deformation of the bullet.

Or am I wrong in my thinking?

In hunting bullets there are generally non bonded bullets, bonded bullets, premium bonded bullets and monolithics.

Of the 4 the non bonded bullets invariably do not retain close to 100% weight - you will generally find they retain between 50% and 70% weight and even much less weight retention in the really high velocity calibers due to design and disintegration. Non bonded bullets will loose little pieces of lead and jacket resulting in weight loss.

Premium bonded bullets and monolithics most always retain more than 95% bullet weight.

Bonded bullets ime retain more than 80% weight and in slower velocity rifle calibers even well above 95%.

I have shot CorBon Power Ball into water and I can say that the jacket and core separated indicating no bonding.

Maybe the general term "bonded" is being used to widely - the premium bonded bullets in the hunting bullets categories are chemically bonded as far as I know. Then there is heat bonding and most probably some other ways . Speer Hot-Cor bullets are heat bonded for example - they retain more weight than non bonded bullets ime.

A bullet core and jacket is imo not going to "stay together" purely because of design - there needs to be some form of adhesion between the two culminating in structural integrity of the whole bullet and therefore weight retention.

I stand to be corrected confused0083

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast