Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Self-defence use of a firearm licensed for hunting, sports-shooting or collecting

You can sticky this, but it ain't gonna sink in or be searched much...

User

Default Re: Self-defence use of a firearm licensed for hunting, sports-shooting or collecting

Well Capt. as luck would have it I was :D Seeing that the whole farm I live on counts as a range...

I agree that should it so happen that your life be threatened and the closest firearm is one licenced for sport shooting etc. it would be considered a lawful purpose to use your firearm. With regards to capt. oblivious, that is all very good and well but just make sure that youd be able to back that story up with atleast one person who can caroborate your story if your carrying your sport shooter around daily. But ultimately LIFE trumps law any day.. in my opinion. ;-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by RyanWills View Post
    I agree that should it so happen that your life be threatened and the closest firearm is one licenced for sport shooting etc. it would be considered a lawful purpose to use your firearm. With regards to capt. oblivious, that is all very good and well but just make sure that youd be able to back that story up with atleast one person who can caroborate your story if your carrying your sport shooter around daily. But ultimately LIFE trumps law any day.. in my opinion. ;-)
    All good, but please go and post an intro if you have not done so yet. I couldn't see one when I checked now..

User

How is the new Dangerous Weapons Act going to address this issue? Also, does anyone perhaps have case law where the state has argued that the use of a sporting licensed firearm in self defence is NOT a lawful use of that firearm?

As far as I am aware (and I checked regularly for some time), no such case law exists.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post
    How is the new Dangerous Weapons Act going to address this issue? Also, does anyone perhaps have case law where the state has argued that the use of a sporting licensed firearm in self defence is NOT a lawful use of that firearm?
    *Dont see why you think there is a correlation between the OP and this new act,care to elaborate?

*Dont think they can on the 2nd one as the law stands today,on what legal basis?

User

Dangerous Weapons Bill does not repeal or invalidate any part of the FCA as far as I am aware, and the FCA still governs the norms of FA ownership and use. No need looking for problems that do not exist.

User

Cool thanxs guys. I'm asking as an article on News24 states that the DWA is set to repeal and consolidate all other weapons acts. "The acts seeks to revoke all existing legislation governing dangerous weapons..." Not thta news24 is the bastion of journalistic accuracy and integrity but still gave me pause. Think I'll have to draw a copy of the bill and ask my lawyer wife to explain it to me!

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post
    Cool thanxs guys. I'm asking as an article on News24 states that the DWA is set to repeal and consolidate all other weapons acts. "The acts seeks to revoke all existing legislation governing dangerous weapons..." Not thta news24 is the bastion of journalistic accuracy and integrity but still gave me pause. Think I'll have to draw a copy of the bill and ask my lawyer wife to explain it to me!
    On the bill itself it states that it repeals and replaces all previous Dangerous Weapons Acts, not the FCA or any other act. Link is in the thread concerning the News24 article, have a read and be calmed :)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast